How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
...you can learn Spanish at a variety of locations across Spain, online or residential and day courses in Spain?
Regardless of your standard, and whatever level you wish to reach Don Quijote has a program to suit your needs!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Tuesday 2 September 2014
- Corvera, Castellon & Ciudad Real : THIS is how you run a private airport!
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
QROPS - the realities of giving and receiving advice
It would be interesting to know how many column miles have been devoted to QROPS over the last few years. As a concept it has captured the imagination of many advisers. Unfortunately, this often includes those who know so little about UK pension law that any so called advice they give may be considered dangerous.
Many of the latter, though, recognise that the entire area of pension transfer advice (whether to a QROPS or not) is a specialist field and should be accompanied by substantive technical knowledge of how the UK pension system works and knowledge of how the pensions system works in the various jurisdictions where QROPS are to be found. Advisers in this category are open minded enough to introduce their QROPS enquiries to us and we thank them for trusting us to assist with their clients.
Claims of offering access to all QROPS are just plain silly
There are thousands of them and most are in jurisdictions which only open their door to local residents. So for example although a resident of Spain may transfer their UK pension fund to a QROPS in Guernsey, New Zealand, Isle of Man or Malta, they cannot transfer to a QROPS in Jersey or Australia. In fact only a tiny proportion of all QROPS are ‘open’ to the public at large. The real choice is from less than perhaps 100 schemes not from the entirety of the contents of the QROPS list maintained by HMRC.
Transparency of costs and references
If you are receiving advice on QROPS always ask for and accept nothing less than transparency as to costs. Be suspicious of anything being free of charge because it will not be - instead there will be a huge and undisclosed commission lurking somewhere. The advice you receive needs to be paid for as does the QROPS provider, but you have a moral right to know to the penny what those costs are.
Think about asking for a reference from another client who has used the adviser’s services on a transfer to a QROPS: if this is not forthcoming then vote with your feet. Ask the adviser to confirm the level of their pension qualifications - a generalist financial services qualification will not suffice.
The Importance of PROPER Pensions Advice
We see many instances where people have transferred to a QROPS without receiving advice in writing. By that I do not mean some generic QROPS summary which makes no reference to you and your existing pension rights, but a comprehensive letter of recommendation. This should set out in clear language what your UK pension rights currently comprise, any guarantees that apply together with the current transfer value and any cost of transferring. It should then set out the comparative benefits you can expect to receive on a transfer to a QROPS and how those benefit opportunities compare with those associated with your UK pension rights. This should be capable of being explained to you in language you understand.
Ask the specialists
If you do not understand in detail what the adviser is telling you this is more than likely because he does not understand it himself. And if you ask any question of the adviser which he cannot answer but has to go away and ask a specialist - then show them the door and come to the specialists – Premier Pension Solutions.
For further information about QROPS and Pension Planning opportunities please contact us today via clicking the link Here and leaving a few basic details on the form at the foot of the page.
More Blogs By Robert Burns BA (Hons), FCCA , Cert PFS
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
- QROPS : Stop press - major changes on their way!
- Do you have a UK pension fund? How secure is it?
- Quantitative Easing - good or bad (or both) for your UK Pension Fund?
- Did Your Pension Fund Fall By 15 Percent in August ?
- New Zealand QROPS : Only Available For A Further 12 Months ?
- QROPS Jurisdictions in Focus : New Zealand
- QROPS Jurisdiction in Focus : Guernsey
- QROPs - Choice of adviser and choice of jurisdiction
- Why not spring clean your pension ?
- Applying for an EHIC Card as a Spanish Resident
- The 'EHIC' Card Explained
- Employee rights & working conditions in Spain
- Benefits in Spain and 'La Ley de Dependencia'
- Common-Law Partnerships In Spain - 'Pareja de Hecho'
- How to claim a widow or widowers pension in Spain
- Working for a UK Employer in Spain
- What exactly is 'QROPS' ?
- What is a Funeral Plan and Why would I need one ?
- Making a will in Spain
- Glossary of useful Legal, Financial & Procedural Phrases
- Applying for your Spanish prescription charge reimbursement
Blogs From Premier Pension Solutions SL
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- The Economy : What can we look forward to in 2012 ?
- Beyond the tipping point - where next ?
- New Zealand QROPS - good news for all concerned
- Pensions and Politicians
- Changes re New Zealand QROPS - Things are becoming clearer
- QROPS Jurisdictions in Focus : A Round-Up
- QROPS Jurisdiction in Focus : Isle of Man
- QROPS for the UK Expat in Spain
- Could this happen to your UK pension fund?
- Maximising the outcome from your UK Pension fund
- UK Moves Towards Pension Flexibility - But QROPS Still The Expat Choice
- HM Treasury Propose Early Access To UK Pension Savings
- A Hidden Gem In The World Of Pensions
- QROPS - New Zealand in focus.