How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Tuesday 31 May 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Heart disease remains biggest killer in Spain
Heart disease remains the main cause of death in Spain according to the data for 2008 which has just been released by the National Statistics Institute. Cancer comes in second and respiratory illnesses third.
A total of 386,324 people died in Spain in 2008, 963 more than in 2007, with 186,677 female deaths and 199.647 male deaths. It means 847 deaths for every 100,000 inhabitants, a decrease of 1.3% on 2007.
The death rate is higher in the regions of Asturias, Galicia and Castilla y León, and considered to be so as the population is generally older in these areas. Likewise the younger populations lead the Canaries, Melilla and Madrid to have the lowest death rates.
A 20.7% fall in the number of deaths in road traffic accidents over the year, at 2,181 means that suicide has now become the main cause of non-natural death in the country at 3,421 deaths. 77.4% of the suicides were male.
The number of deaths from Aids was down 7.7% over the year at 1,212
Latest News & Stories
- Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- Paramount Murcia investors call for compensation
- Spain Hosts 18 Million Tourists between January and April
- Telefonica unveils portal to help new refugees in Spain
- Orange Spain Wi-Fi calls available on Android phones
- Gibraltar fears Spain border closure upon Brexit
- "Spain Loves Tesla" Campaign Wants To Lure Tesla Factory
- Brexit Will Leave 2 Million Brits In Legal Limbo
- Spanish Socialists propose political deal with Catalonia to end conflict
- Spain consumer prices drop 1.1% in May