How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Tuesday 31 March 2015
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain increases terror alert
Earlier today Spain raised its terror alert level due to "recent events," just six days after a French police officer was killed in an attack that has been blamed on the Basque separatist group ETA.
The status was changed from "low intensity" to "high intensity" within the level two on a scale of four, indicating a "probable risk of a terrorist attack," the interior ministry said in a statement released earlier.
It said the alert would remain at the current level at least until Spain's six-month rotating presidency of the European Union comes to an end on June 30.
The ministry said the change was due to "recent events" and "available information."
No further information was given, but a French police officer was shot and killed on the outskirts of Paris on Tuesday, which is thought to have been carried out by ETA – although they have not so far claimed responsibility.
Spain increased its terror alert from level one to two on December 29 and a day after warning that ETA may be planning an attack or kidnapping during Madrid's EU presidency.
ETA is considered a terrorist group by the EU and has been responsible for 829 deaths over their 41-year campaign for independence for the Basque region of northern Spain and southwestern France.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain arrests teenagers trying to travel to Syria
- Spain to reinstate primary healthcare for illegal immigrants
- Spain's 'bad bank' Sareb widens net loss in 2014
- Only 14 of Spain's 48 Airports in profit
- Dining out Across Spain : Study
- Spain Freezes Hundreds of Russian Accounts
- Spain to bring 100 Mbps broadband to all schools
- British Expat Couple Shot Dead in Alicante
- Saloufest 2015 underway
- Murcia's San Javier Airport not to close imminently