How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
CLICK HERE to find out more...
- For Whom the Road Tolls
- Spanish Tourism Stats Confusion
- Mixed Reaction to ECB Rate Cut
- Join us on the Costa del Sol to discuss your Spanish IHT requirements
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Unauthorised Financial Advisers in Spain : UPDATE
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Caldendar Girls
- Own a Property in Spain ? Then you need to read the following
- EU Summit Eagerly Anticipated
- Travel Money Made Easy !
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain increases terror alert
Earlier today Spain raised its terror alert level due to "recent events," just six days after a French police officer was killed in an attack that has been blamed on the Basque separatist group ETA.
The status was changed from "low intensity" to "high intensity" within the level two on a scale of four, indicating a "probable risk of a terrorist attack," the interior ministry said in a statement released earlier.
It said the alert would remain at the current level at least until Spain's six-month rotating presidency of the European Union comes to an end on June 30.
The ministry said the change was due to "recent events" and "available information."
No further information was given, but a French police officer was shot and killed on the outskirts of Paris on Tuesday, which is thought to have been carried out by ETA – although they have not so far claimed responsibility.
Spain increased its terror alert from level one to two on December 29 and a day after warning that ETA may be planning an attack or kidnapping during Madrid's EU presidency.
ETA is considered a terrorist group by the EU and has been responsible for 829 deaths over their 41-year campaign for independence for the Basque region of northern Spain and southwestern France.
Comment on this Story
Latest News & Stories
- Spain to veto Scotland entry to EU ?
- Spain's obsession with the AVE runs into budget reality
- 12 Months since "Castellon Airport open this year" promise
- 12 Months today since "Corvera open by October" Promise
- Spain Property Prices Decelerates Most in Q4 2012
- Spain's ECB bank borrowing falls again in May
- Spain's public debt soars to 88.2 pct of GDP in Q1
- Rajoy calls on ECB to create bank lending scheme for SMEs
- Paramount Murcia Investor files for Bankruptcy
- Questions asked over Castellon Airport Firetrucks