How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Wednesday 31 August 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain increases terror alert
Earlier today Spain raised its terror alert level due to "recent events," just six days after a French police officer was killed in an attack that has been blamed on the Basque separatist group ETA.
The status was changed from "low intensity" to "high intensity" within the level two on a scale of four, indicating a "probable risk of a terrorist attack," the interior ministry said in a statement released earlier.
It said the alert would remain at the current level at least until Spain's six-month rotating presidency of the European Union comes to an end on June 30.
The ministry said the change was due to "recent events" and "available information."
No further information was given, but a French police officer was shot and killed on the outskirts of Paris on Tuesday, which is thought to have been carried out by ETA – although they have not so far claimed responsibility.
Spain increased its terror alert from level one to two on December 29 and a day after warning that ETA may be planning an attack or kidnapping during Madrid's EU presidency.
ETA is considered a terrorist group by the EU and has been responsible for 829 deaths over their 41-year campaign for independence for the Basque region of northern Spain and southwestern France.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain Registers Record-Breaking 9.6 Million Foreign Tourists in July
- What happens if Mariano Rajoy does not get reinstated ?
- Spain closer to third election in a year as confidence vote looms
- Iberdrola Announces 8 Million Smart Meters Installed In Spain
- No is no, Socialist nominee tells Spanish PM at brief meeting
- Twitter Spain launches Rajoy emoji
- Spain's Socialists say no to Rajoy, prolonging political deadlock
- Spain sees Tourist spend per head at 15 year low
- Spanish Jihadist chatter on the rise say experts, with sights set on Spain
- Spain starts countdown to possible third national election in year