How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
... Telefonica are NOT the only service provider of Telephone Lines, Internet Access or Mobile Phones?
Tumbit recommends Telitec Communications. Find out how Telitec Communications can help you here!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Tuesday 24 May 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Immigrant numbers in Spain fall
The number of non-EU residents moving to Spain has declined in line with the economic recession, with South American's showing the biggest fall.
During 2009 there were over 137,000 new applications for residency cards from non-EU nationals, and a total of 2,573,347, which was a 5.6% increase on 2008. In 2005 the number of non-EU residency cards issued increased by more than 50%.
The figures were released by the Ministry for Employment and Immigration, and reveal how the total number of some nationalities has fallen due to some people returning to their home countries due to the recession. It is reported that there are now 3,947 fewer Ecuadorians than in 2008, and 5,463 fewer Argentinans.
However, the number of EU nationals who have been granted residency in Spain continued to grow last year, with 200,466 more applications.
British citizens applying for residency increased by 13,093 over the course of 2009, the majority of them retired.
Immigrants aged over 65 as a whole represent just 3.8% the population in Spain, however, of that number the British make up 27%.
Latest News & Stories
- 30 arrests in Spain for pay-TV piracy
- Spain's centre-right PP to strengthen position in election - poll
- Popular Party faces freeze on assets if it fails to pay €1.2m civil bond
- Spain trade deficit falls 10.6% in March y/y
- Security fears hit Thomas Cook as tourists choose Spain over Turkey
- Ryanair offers €20 flights to UK to vote against Brexit
- Spain's MasMovil unveils internet-only plans
- Vodafone Spain targeting 9 mln fibre homes in 3-4 months
- Spain's public debt rises 14 billion euros in March
- Spain’s public debt over 100% of GDP for first time in more than a century
- Can I claim a UK Disability allowance in Spain ?
- Can I claim UK benefits if I am widowed in Spain ?
- Claiming UK Benefits in Spain
- Applying for Residential status (Residencia) - EU Citizens