How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Wednesday 1 July 2015
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Britons cut down on foreign trips during recession
Overseas visits fell by 15 percent in total to 58.6 million, the fastest rate of decline seen since the 1970s when foreign travel started to become a more regular feature of British life rather than a luxury.
The British economy contracted by 6.4 percent between the second quarter of 2008 and the third quarter of 2009 when a fragile recovery took hold.
A decline in the value of sterling against the dollar and the euro would also have diluted demand for foreign travel when Britons were tightening their belts.
Visits to Britain by foreign residents fell by 6.3 percent to 29.9 million overall, with inbound business travel declining by 19 percent.
However, earnings from visits to Britain edged up to 16.6 billion pounds from 16.3 billion.
London remained the most popular city for foreign visitors by a large margin, followed by Edinburgh, Manchester, Birmingham and Glasgow.
British spending overseas fell to 31.7 billion pounds, a drop of 5.1 billion.
Egypt, Jamaica and Lithuania bucked the negative trend, attracting more British tourists. Visits to Mexico dropped by 41 percent.
Most Britons head to European countries like France or Spain if they travel abroad, and the United States also remains a popular destination.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain's León Airlines folds after just 8 weeks
- Spanish air traffic controllers call further strikes for July
- Orange Spain Launches Holiday Pre-Paid SIM
- 5 things Spain’s ‘gag law’ will stop you doing from today
- Spain new car sales up 23.5 pct yr/yr in June
- Ryanair petition calls for ban on Spanish ATC stikes
- "Greek exit could send message Euro is reversible" : Rajoy
- Russian Mafia Operated Out Of Spain For Over A Decade: Prosecutors
- Apple Watch goes on sale in Spain for more than in France and Germany
- Loan to support nationwide rollout of ERTMS in Spain