How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Monday 10 March 2014
- QROPS 2014
- Mr Grumpy is Intolerant
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Join us for FREE IHT advice in Murcia & Costa Calida
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Spain presses unions on pension reform
The Spanish government will push this week for an agreement with the unions on pension reforms which it intends to present on Friday, the employment ministry said.
The country's two main unions, the UGT and the CCOO, have voiced fierce opposition to the government's plan to raise the legal retirement age from 65 to 67.
They have threatened to hold a further general strike if the proposal is agreed to by the government.
However, the government intends to present the plan to the cabinet on January 28, although negotiations with the unions will continue this week in order to try and reach an agreement with them.
CCOO secretary general Ignacio Fernandez Toxo has warned that reaching a deal would be "difficult."
In a bid to reassure nervous investors, Zapatero confirmed on December 30 the government's commitment to the pension reform plan.
"We must take measures" because "the largest generation in the history of Spain will reach retirement" in the coming years, placing a massive burden on the social security system, he said.
The government is struggling to control the massive public deficit and calm market fears that Spain could be trapped in simlar debt issues that has swamped Greece and Ireland.
Latest News & Stories
- Europe's regional airports struggle as traffic shifts to hubs
- Amazon opens 1,200 collection points across Spain
- Spain industrial output grows for 3rd straight month in January
- Spain warns of high risk of new Islamist attacks
- Financial Impact of Corvera Airport on Murcia Questioned
- 1 in 4 Spanish women have experienced abuse : EU survey
- Premursa Previous With Paramount Recruitment ?
- Property prices fall 37% since 2007 highs
- Interior Ministry to install “anti-climb mesh” on Ceuta and Melilla borders
- Rajoy offers last-minute support for Merkel’s choice in EU vote