How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 11 July 2014
- Things that have annoyed me this week
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Dixons confirms to exit Spain, 1,200 jobs to go
Europe's No.2 electrical goods retailer, is closing its 34 loss-making stores in Spain shedding around 1,200 jobs.
The British group, which said last month it was looking at exiting Spain as it issued a profit warning, said on Thursday it made the decision to close its PC City stores in the country as a result of a continued weak consumer environment.
"The management committee of PC City has informed the employee representatives about the decision in order to start appropriate actions for the compulsory redundancy scheme which will be submitted to the relevant Spanish Labour Authority," it said in a statement.
"Management will also look for solutions that secure employment for as many employees as possible."
At 0710 GMT, shares in Dixons, which runs Currys and PC World stores in Britain, were up 1.2% at 12.31 pence, valuing the business at about 440 million pounds.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain sets rules for dealing with unaccompanied foreign children
- Catalan Separatists Say Debt Investors Can Help Campaign
- Travel authorities call for responsible tourism in Spain after sex scandal
- Spain's AENA appoints banks for IPO
- Spain sets another record for foreign tourism
- Gibraltar says data proves Spain border queues are deliberate
- BBVA to buy Spain's nationalized Catalunya Banc
- Spain set to double rail accident compensation
- Orange Spain sees 77% rise in mobile data during San Fermin
- Spain Marks Year of Recovery in Economy Hooked on Exports
- Benefits in Spain and 'La Ley de Dependencia'
- Applying for a Business Loan
- Applying for an EU Grant for your Business