How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
CLICK HERE to find out more...
- Why every Expat is a scumbag
- Mixed Reaction to ECB Rate Cut
- Lorca Earthquakes 2 Year Anniversary
- Join us on the Costa del Sol to discuss your Spanish IHT requirements
- El Escorial
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Unauthorised Financial Advisers in Spain : UPDATE
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Caldendar Girls
- Own a Property in Spain ? Then you need to read the following
- EU Summit Eagerly Anticipated
- Travel Money Made Easy !
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Over 1'000 Seismic activities recorded on El Hierro
Over the last few weeks the smallest of the Canary Islands - El Hierro - has experienced over 1'000 'seismic activities'.
The activity peaked yesterday with 700 such activities, which have registered magnitudes of between 1.0 and 2.0, with the majority being recorded at depths of between 9km and 16km, however a few isolated activities were registered at just 4km.
This activity may suggest the movement of Magma underneath the Island's Volcano, but it does not necessarily indicate that there is an imminent eruption as much of the magma and gasses produced at these depths never reach the surface.
The Island, which has a population of 10'000, is the most 'Volcanically active' of the Canary Islands and has over 500 'Open Sky Volcano cones'. However, there has only ever been one recorded eruption of the largest 'Volcan de Lomo Negro'. That was in 1794 and the subsequent eruption lasted over 1 month.
The Canary Island's Directorate General of Security and Emergency in Tenerife is said to be monitoring the situation.
Comment on this Story
Latest News & Stories
- Spain's Supreme Court revokes planning permission for Marina d'Or
- Spain Consumer Association Slams Internet Providers
- Spain to continually monitor convicted abusers
- Vodafone lead race to launch 4G in Spain
- Spain's PP local election landslide : 2 years on
- AENA report on Corvera Airport viability slammed
- Alhama de Murcia invites Paramount appeals
- Castellon Airport Director Sacked
- New Arrival at San Javier - But what about Corvera ?
- Spanish Residents declare overseas assets equaivalent of 9% of GDP
- Travel Insurance to Spain
- The 'EHIC' Card Explained
- How Can I Protect Against An Unwise Property Purchase ?