How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Tuesday 2 September 2014
- Corvera, Castellon & Ciudad Real : THIS is how you run a private airport!
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Papa Don't Preach
The visit of Pope Benedict XVI - 'El Papa' - became the focus of marches through the capital last night. Some marching in support of the pontiff, some kneeling to pray en route and shouting out the name of the Holy Father, others marching in protest that they had been subjected to hefty taxes in order to pay for a visit that they neither supported nor wanted at a time when the country can ill-afford to pay for it.
Although the Government have repeatedly stated that the 4 day event, which has been rumoured to cost anywhere between 6 and 100 Million Euros, has been financed through ticket sales and private sponsorship. However, the corporate sponsors have been offered tax breaks of as much as 80% due to the event being 'of exceptional public interest', which means that millions of Euros worth of Taxes that would previously have been paid into the system will now not be. As such, indirectly, the Spanish tax payer will be paying for the privilege of hosting the event.
On the whole, last night's protests passed peacefully, with only 6 arrests being made as the march passed through the Puerta del Sol square, home of Spain's 'los Indignados' protest group, who have taken exception to the event due to the financial toll it will take on the country.
Latest News & Stories
- Tax Hikes For UK Home-Owning Expats ?
- Spain unemployment benefit claims up in August
- Scottish Independence Vote Registration Looms, Expats Nervous
- Spain Struggles With 'Brain-Drain Exodus'
- Spain new car sales up 13.7 pct yr/yr in August
- AENA blames this weekend's flight delays on computer crash
- Britain's Barclays to sell Spanish assets to Caixabank
- Corvera Airline Deadline Slips Again, Airline Confirms Interest
- Civil Guards suspected of stealing pro-independence Catalan flag
- Ryanair eyes stake in Spanish Airports listing