How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 30 January 2015
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Bidvest sees modest 2010 profit growth in UK unit
South Africa's Bidvest expects its UK business to return modest profit thisfiscal year, helped by a revamp of the unit and Britain's recovery from a recession, it said on Friday.
Bidvest suffered a 13 percent decline in headline earningsper share for the year ended in June, hit by partial closurecosts at its cash-guzzling UK vehicle distribution businessOntime Automotive.
As part of its restructuring, the group also closed sixwholesale depots in its food and catering equipment firm, 3663First For Foodservice in Britain, as key customers in thecatering industry cut spending.
"The British economy will remain under pressure for sometime; therefore next year's business gains are expected to bemodest" it said in its latest annual report.
Bidvest, which makes about a quarter of its sales in Europe,has been under pressure as the recession in the UK forced keyclients such as restaurants, pubs and hotels to scale down onspending or go out of business.
It also operates food service businesses in Belgium, the Netherlands, the Middle East and more recently Czech Republic.
The company, whose activities cover auto retail, freightservices and industrial products manufacturing, expects itsindustrial and commercial products to increase revenue andtrading profit slightly over 10 percent.
The group said its Bid Industrial and Commercial Products unit, which distributes electrical products, would face toughconditions for some time.
"A difficult first half is in prospect (for the industrialand commercial products unit), though business conditions areexpected to improve in quarters three and four," the companysaid.
Bidvest added that its auto retailing unit in South Africawas expected to achieve "meaningful trading profit growth" thisfiscal year after closing loss-making dealerships.
"There are grounds for believing a bottom has been reachedin the new auto market... We expect to achieve meaningful trading profit growth in the coming year," Bidvest said.
South Africa's total new vehicle sales fell 19.5 percentyear-on-year in September as recession in Africa's biggesteconomy curbed consumer demand, though the rate of contractioneased relative to earlier months.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain sees average electricity bill increase 13.3% Jan-Dec 2014
- 100,000 people march in Madrid to support Podemos party
- Air Europa "Interested in Flying to Castellon Airport"
- Spain considers forcing trucks onto toll roads
- Rajoy : "Spain is the Sick Man of Europe"
- Podemos to March through Madrid Saturday
- Spanish growth accelerates
- Rajoy seeks to finalize anti-terrorist agreement with PSOE
- Spanish Airports to see 25 days of strike action
- Islamisation "Stronger in Spain than Germany"