How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- USD weekly currency update- 9 December 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Eddie Stobart Commences Spain - UK Rail Freight
International logistics expert and road, Stobart Group - commonly known in the UK as Eddie Stobart - has re-started its low-carbon, rail freight service between Valencia, in Spain, and Barking, near London.
The seasonal rail service, which is operated by Europorte Channel, the international freight haulage subsidiary of Eurotunnel, will carry 30 chilled containers of fruit and vegetables from Spain to supermarkets and retailers in the UK.
The first train arrived into Barking on Friday 25 November and was monitored throughout the journey by the latest satellite tracking software which closely observes progress and ensures the temperature of each 45 foot-long, refrigerated container remains suitably chilled.
The journey takes just over 50 hours with the service passing through Spain, France and the Channel Tunnel. It saves 60 cross-continent truck journeys, slashing vehicle carbon emissions, every week and reduces road congestion on Spanish, French and UK motorways.
In an innovative move, Europorte Channel and Network Rail have utilised the international rail lines at Folkestone, removing the need for an extra stop on the northbound leg of the journey – reducing both cost and journey time.
The new service has been part-funded by a European Union Marco Polo grant promoting freight modal shift from road to rail to aid congestion on key European routes and reduce carbon emissions. Initially it will run weekly building up to five services per week at peak times.
Liam Martin, Stobart Rail Freight managing director, said: "The resumption of this seasonal service has been driven by the commercial advantages it offers and the environmental benefits. It will help take trucks off European motorways and ease congestion at key pinch-points such as the Pyrenees. The service will allow us to offer a cost and time-effective solution for supermarkets and food retailers in a carbon-friendly manner."
Latest News & Stories
- Spain’s struggling Socialists could have a new leader by summer
- Lycamobile Spain unlimited calls, 3GB bundle down to EUR 10
- Apple Pay launches in Spain
- Spain detains 30 in operation targetting illegal firearms
- Spain's Tuenti launches festive promo, offers 4GB for EUR 14
- Two left dead by torrential rains and flooding in southern Spain
- Spanish unemployment sees first November rise in three years
- Motoring & parking fines and how to pay them
- Motorways & Tolls in Spain
- What to do after having a car accident in Spain