How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 11 July 2014
- Things that have annoyed me this week
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
'Spanish Banks need more funds' : IMF
The IMF issued a report earlier this week, noting how the cost of rescuing Spanish banks with problems may be too much for the industry to support, and could require an injection of public funds.
The report went on to say that while the largest banks appeared sufficiently capitalized, it identified 10 lenders that have already received state support as being "vulnerable." It did not name the banks directly, but did say that 5 of them have been acquired by or merged with other banks, 3 are in the process of being auctioned off after being taken over by the Bank of Spain and 2 have submitted plans that have been approved by the central bank.
The 3 banks that have been taken over are Novagalicia, CatalunyaCaixa and Banco de Valencia.
Bankia, currently Spain's 4th largest lender with assets of €305 billion, and is thought to be one of the 2 banks mentioned who have had their plans approved by the Bank of Spain.
The government wants the banks themselves to finance the restructuring process through the Deposit Guarantee Fund, with the funding role of the Orderly Bank Restructuring Fund limited by the need to rein in the budget deficit.
However, the IMF said: "To avoid resolution costs becoming too high for the industry to bear, especially in a reasonable time period, greater reliance on public funding may be needed."
Latest News & Stories
- Spain's Swiftair says lost contact with plane en route to Algiers
- Spain unemployment falls to lowest in 2 years
- Repsol to start searching for oil off Canary Islands coast by end of year
- eBay's StubHub sting ringleader detained in Spain
- More than 1,000 would-be migrants attempt Melilla fence jump
- Vodafone, Orange update FTTH agreement following Ono deal
- Iberdrola Profit Drops as Spain Renewable Subsidy Cuts Hit
- Bank of Spain Says Growth Accelerated in Q2
- Spain's Prado loses 885 peices of art
- BBVA expects profit boost from Catalunya Banc purchase