How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
...you can learn Spanish at a variety of locations across Spain, online or residential and day courses in Spain?
Regardless of your standard, and whatever level you wish to reach Don Quijote has a program to suit your needs!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Monday 27 April 2015
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain banks to bear burden of unprovisioned property losses
Spain's banking sector, not the government, will assume the cost of any unprovisioned losses on real estate assets after they are moved into a special holding company, a government source said on Friday.
The government plans to move toxic assets on bank books into a real-estate holding entities by the summer. An independent body of real estate professionals would evaluate the assets and later sell them off.
Under a banking reform presented by Spain's new centre-right government in February, the banks have already drastically written down their property holdings, which are the result of a property boom and bust.
The government source said on Friday that if the assets are sold at an even greater loss than the banks have already recognized, the banking system would have to absorb that additional loss.
"The financial sector will have to bear the cost of additional losses, when they top the ones already covered by the new norm," said the source.
The source also said the banks would now work on how to set up the entities and the government will coordinate the process so that a level playing field and common criteria are ensured.
About €184 billion of troubled real estate assets - including land, buildings and bad loans to developers - are expected to be placed in the holding company by Spain's lenders.
The total value of property assets on banks' balance sheets, including loans to the construction sector, reached almost €400 billion by the end of 2011, according to data from the Bank of Spain.
Spain's sickly economy faces a "crisis of huge proportions", a minister said on Friday, as unemployment hit its highest level in almost 2 decades - some 24% over Q1 - and S&P's downgraded the government's debt by 2 notches.
Latest News & Stories
- Bitcoin Exempt From IVA in Spain
- Orange Spain to invest EUR 97 mln in Valencia 4G deployment
- Spain's Bankia Q1 net profit up 12.8 pct
- Anti-fraud law hits Spain's elites
- PM revises up Spanish GDP growth in 2015 to 2.9 pct
- Spanish banks' overseas push reflects doubts on recovery at home
- Spain expects more tourism from Middle-East
- Spain's jobless figures rise slightly in Q1 2015
- Ciudad Real Airport : The Penny Finally Drops...
- Spain to bid for euro zone chair