How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- USD weekly currency update-28 April 2017
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain Banks Should Clear Balance Sheets : IMF
Spanish banks should clear as much as they can off their balance sheets as the government decides how to best address vulnerabilities in the country's financial industry, an International Monetary Fund spokesman said.
Asked whether Spanish banks should spin off their "bad assets" into a separate company, IMF spokesman Gerry Rice said that it is first "critical to do the due diligence of these banks' assets before taking a final decision."
"In the meantime banks should be urged to clear as much as possible off their balance sheets," Rice said at a press briefing in Washington.
The IMF said last week Spain may need to use more public money to shore up its banks, and raised the possibility of lenders offloading toxic assets into separate vehicles.
An IMF mission will go to Greece, where the fund co- finances a bailout package, once a new government is formed after the May 6 elections, Rice said.
Asked about the prospects for a loan to Hungary, Rice said the IMF welcomed "the recent progress in Hungary's discussions with the European Commission, and we're ready to start negotiations as soon as adequate steps are taken to ensure central bank independence, as has been discussed with the Hungarian government."
Latest News & Stories
- Five Spanish regions among EU’s top 10 unemployment black spots
- Pensioners miss flight to Spain after being abandoned in Airport
- Britons buy fewer houses in Spain after Brexit vote
- Almost 28% of Spanish population at risk of poverty or social exclusion
- Bank of Spain says structural reforms needed to further reduce deficit
- Brexit takes its toll on Spanish property market
- Spain’s “golden visa” scheme brings in €2.16 billion in first three years
- How and where to complain about my Bank in Spain
- Bank guarantees - when things go wrong
- Opening a Bank Account in Spain
- Bank Charges in Spain