How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Monday 25 July 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain Banks Should Clear Balance Sheets : IMF
Spanish banks should clear as much as they can off their balance sheets as the government decides how to best address vulnerabilities in the country's financial industry, an International Monetary Fund spokesman said.
Asked whether Spanish banks should spin off their "bad assets" into a separate company, IMF spokesman Gerry Rice said that it is first "critical to do the due diligence of these banks' assets before taking a final decision."
"In the meantime banks should be urged to clear as much as possible off their balance sheets," Rice said at a press briefing in Washington.
The IMF said last week Spain may need to use more public money to shore up its banks, and raised the possibility of lenders offloading toxic assets into separate vehicles.
An IMF mission will go to Greece, where the fund co- finances a bailout package, once a new government is formed after the May 6 elections, Rice said.
Asked about the prospects for a loan to Hungary, Rice said the IMF welcomed "the recent progress in Hungary's discussions with the European Commission, and we're ready to start negotiations as soon as adequate steps are taken to ensure central bank independence, as has been discussed with the Hungarian government."
Latest News & Stories
- Tensions Heat Up Between NATO Allies as Spain and UK Spat Over Gibraltar
- Spain poised to grow 2.9 percent in 2016
- Vodafone Spain service revenues up for 1st time since 2008
- Manifesto calls on politicians to avoid third election
- Spain’s Audit Office says €300 million a year being paid to deceased pensioners
- New flights announced Birmingham - Spain
- Spain to Ask EU for Two Additional Years to Reduce Budget Deficit
- Spain demands explanation over British nuclear submarine collision off Gibraltar
- Spain’s King Felipe gives Rajoy 1 week to form government
- What does Brexit mean for Expats in/from the UK and the EU ?
- How and where to complain about my Bank in Spain
- Bank guarantees - when things go wrong
- Opening a Bank Account in Spain
- Bank Charges in Spain