How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Wednesday 24 August 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Average Spanish Mortgage Term Contracts
Data released by the Bank of Spain has revealled how the average repayment term for mortgages offered in Spain has now contracted to levels last seen before 2004.
In 2007, before the crash of the property market took effect, the average mortgage term for a Spanish mortgage stood at 29 years. A number of mortgage lenders were even offering products for as long as 40 years, when certain conditions were met.
However, the latest information available (December 2011) has shown how the average mortgage term currently stands at 285 months - 23 years and 9 months.
Cinco Dias has speculated on the reasons that may have contributed to this, noting that Banks are being put under pressure to only make 'low risk' loans, and as such the longer the term of the loan, the more the risk of the client falling into arreas.
The report also confirms that 18% of all mortgages offered during the 2004 - 2007 period were for greter than 80% of the value of the property.
Following the crash of subprime lending, the mortgage market experienced a slowdown which saw this number fall from 18% to 10% of new business, however the Bank of Spain has found that in late 2011 this rose to 13.5%, with the year as a whole closing on an average of 12.6%.
Latest News & Stories
- Vodafone Spain expands 4G roaming to 100 countries
- Public works contracts fall by 20% due to political impasse and deficit reduction
- 24 arrested in Spain in joint EU operation against child pornography
- PP accepts Ciudadanos’ demand for further-reaching corruption measures
- Gibraltar signs LNG deal with Shell to combat electricity shortages
- Over 204,000 Moroccans Affiliated to Spanish Social Security
- Spain's Yoigo gains 19,900 mobile lines in July
- Orange Spain adds free EU roaming to Family pack
- Despite devalued post-Brexit pound, British visitor numbers to Spanish hotels up 15%
- Ibiza flight delayed after ‘police officer’s gun accidentally goes off’
- Dacion en Pago : Handing Your Property Back to the Bank
- The main differences between a Spanish and UK Mortgage
- Buying from an Estate Agent vs a Property Finder
- How Can I Protect Against An Unwise Property Purchase ?
- What is the Euribor ?
- When you can’t pay the Mortgage
- How to Apply for a Mortgage in Spain