How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Wednesday 7 October 2015
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
IMF Discuss Contingency Plans for Spain
The International Monetary Fund has begun discussions over a contingency plan to bail out Spain should it fail to raise the necessary funds to bail out failed Spanish bank, Bankia.
According to sources close to the discussions, Spain is struggling to raise the remaining €10 billion it needs to rescue Bankia from collapse.
Neither the IMF or European Union have the stomach to provide a bailout for Spain to shore up it's banking sector, especially as there are already 3 bailouts currently in progress for Greece, Portugal and Ireland. Additionally, the backlash from the Spanish public could be huge should the nation be forced into a Greek style handout, especially if the rumours of a €300 billion rescue package over 3 years be required.
It has been cited that Bankia's woes are the result of the Spanish property market crash and the serious econmic downturn. However, poor management, over inflated executive pay and huge multi-million euro bonuses for failure are the more likely explanations.
Bankia former senior executive, Aurelio Izquierdo, is reported to receive €14 Million in compensation for losing his job. The compensation for former Chief Executive, Rodrigo Rato, has not been revealed.
Latest News & Stories
- Aer Lingus announces new Belfast to Alicante route
- Spain's employers organizations ask for more flexibility in labor market
- Vodafone Spain awarded Barcelona public transport contract
- Barcelona and Madrid’s new mayors are best-rated politicians in their cities
- Sabotage could be behind four-hour suspension of high-speed rail service
- Spain's industrial production rises by 5% in August
- Spain's Santander 'Sought to delay news of fine'
- Spain ranks as 7th 'rich' country with least confidence in Politicians
- Spain risks missing 2015 and 2016 deficit targets — Brussels report
- Orange Spain launches 4G for prepay card users on 18 October