How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Thursday 6 March 2014
- QROPS 2014
- Mr Grumpy is Intolerant
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Join us for FREE IHT advice in Murcia & Costa Calida
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Increase in Spanish cycling accidents linked to recession ?
The Mapfre Foundation Institute for Road Safety has published a report, which shows how Spain is the worst offending country for the fatality of road cyclists involved in road accidents.
Over the course of 2010 a total of 67 fatalities occurred on Spain's roads, representing an increase of more than 20% on the previous year. A further 564 cyclists also obtained 'serious injuries' as result of being involved in road traffic accidents.
The majority of the fatalities involved accidents on highways.
Alfonso Triviño, spokesman for the Professional Cyclists Association, noted that the increase in fatalities corresponded with the economic troubles that the country is currently contending with : “The crisis has forced people to ride to work on bicycles and the politicians still don’t understand the need to build bike lanes".
Ireland, Latvia and Belgium fell behind Spain in the survey, but cyclist deaths in those countries were attributed mostly to bad weather rather than being road traffic accidents.
Latest News & Stories
- Premursa Previous With Paramount Recruitment ?
- Property prices fall 37% since 2007 highs
- Interior Ministry to install “anti-climb mesh” on Ceuta and Melilla borders
- Rajoy offers last-minute support for Merkel’s choice in EU vote
- Spain approves larger U.S. force at base
- Spain struggles to pull together multibillion euro highway bail-out
- Spain airport operator AENA eyes IPO this year
- Spanish Transport Federation Denounces British Transport Tax
- Spain marks 10th anniversary of Madrid bombings
- Spain sees closure of 27 bars per day during crisis
- Applying for an EHIC Card as a Spanish Resident
- The 'EHIC' Card Explained
- Mopeds and Motorcycles in Spain