How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 11 July 2014
- Things that have annoyed me this week
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Dismissed BoS Governor speaks to Congress
Miguel Angel Fernandez Ordonez, the Governor of the Bank of Spain due to step down this weekend after almost 6 years in office, has exersized his right to address congress.
The Governor took the opportunity to speak directly to the Government, particularly the Minister of Econony, Luis de Guindos, who he has had frequent disagreements with, to emphasise the importance of maintaining the independence of the institution as a means of restoring market confidence.
"In the difficult situation being experienced by the Spanish economy, the most critical variable is not, however serious its recent evolution, neither growth nor unemployment, but the decline in confidence," he told the Governing Council Bank of Spain.
He added: "There is no more important and urgent task in the short term to regain lost confidence, and it is essential for a joint effort of all political, economic and social and all the institutions responsible for the definition and implementation economic policy."
Ordonez also admitted there had been management errors during his time in office, but maintained that all decisions had always been made professionally.
His dismissal came the day after the PP blocked his appearance before Congress to account for the recent Bankia crisis.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain congratulates new UK FM and calls for "Dialogue on Gibraltar"
- Could a Scottish Yes vote derail Spain's fragile recovery?
- Spain's Swiftair says lost contact with plane en route to Algiers
- Spain unemployment falls to lowest in 2 years
- Repsol to start searching for oil off Canary Islands coast by end of year
- eBay's StubHub sting ringleader detained in Spain
- More than 1,000 would-be migrants attempt Melilla fence jump
- Vodafone, Orange update FTTH agreement following Ono deal
- Iberdrola Profit Drops as Spain Renewable Subsidy Cuts Hit
- Bank of Spain Says Growth Accelerated in Q2
- How and where to complain about my Bank in Spain
- Bank guarantees - when things go wrong
- Opening a Bank Account in Spain
- Bank Charges in Spain