How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 21 October 2014
- Mr Grumpy v Angeles Duran
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Dismissed BoS Governor speaks to Congress
Miguel Angel Fernandez Ordonez, the Governor of the Bank of Spain due to step down this weekend after almost 6 years in office, has exersized his right to address congress.
The Governor took the opportunity to speak directly to the Government, particularly the Minister of Econony, Luis de Guindos, who he has had frequent disagreements with, to emphasise the importance of maintaining the independence of the institution as a means of restoring market confidence.
"In the difficult situation being experienced by the Spanish economy, the most critical variable is not, however serious its recent evolution, neither growth nor unemployment, but the decline in confidence," he told the Governing Council Bank of Spain.
He added: "There is no more important and urgent task in the short term to regain lost confidence, and it is essential for a joint effort of all political, economic and social and all the institutions responsible for the definition and implementation economic policy."
Ordonez also admitted there had been management errors during his time in office, but maintained that all decisions had always been made professionally.
His dismissal came the day after the PP blocked his appearance before Congress to account for the recent Bankia crisis.
Latest News & Stories
- 50% of Spain's workers earn under EU1,000 per month
- Spanish Attorney General Files Suit against Catalan President
- UK-Spain dispute over Gibraltar threatens European skies reform
- PM calls on opposition to “get serious” and detail plans for federal state
- Spain 2015 Michelin Restuarants Guide Released
- Gibraltar airs EU advice to Spain over border delays
- Spain finalizes direct flights with Azerbaijan for 2015
- Israel vexed at Spain’s move to recognise Palestinian state
- Orange reaches 2 million 4G customers in Spain
- Spain arrests Moroccan on terrorism charges
- How and where to complain about my Bank in Spain
- Bank guarantees - when things go wrong
- Opening a Bank Account in Spain
- Bank Charges in Spain