How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 11 July 2014
- Things that have annoyed me this week
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Red Cross report that Spanish grandparents are financial lifeline for families
A report by the Red Cross in Catalonia has revealed that grandparents in the region have become an important resource for family members who have been left without a job and have no other sources of income.
The report, entitled "The impact of the crisis on the elderly", states that 30% of people aged over 65 have been helping at least one family member make ends meet over the past 2 years. Josep Marquès, the Red Cross chapter's president, called on the government not to make any severe cutbacks that would affect the elderly.
Red Cross officials took a survey of 510 elderly people who use the humanitarian organization's services. Of the 603,932 unemployed people in Catalonia, around 204,000 have seen their jobless benefits run out. A nationwide unemployment rate of around 25% means the same phenomenon is being played out across the different regions of Spain.
Latest News & Stories
- Bankia's profit jumps as Spain's economy picks up, bad debts fall
- Gay community in Spain most affected by hate crime
- Uncertainty over Spain's "Google-Tax" law
- Spain's Felipe VI to keep royals out of private sector
- Ciudad Real Airport Administrators Lower Price & Extend Deadline... Again
- Telefonica and Santander team up to launch online education platform
- EU : Gibraltar's Artificial Reef "Lawful"
- More Irish robbed in Spain than any other foreign country
- New Flights announced between Manchester - Spain
- Spain send experts to join Algeria air crash investigation
- Claiming Unemployment Benefits in Spain
- Benefits in Spain and 'La Ley de Dependencia'
- Claiming a Spanish or UK Pension in Spain
- Claiming Spanish Benefits in Spain