How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
...you can learn Spanish at a variety of locations across Spain, online or residential and day courses in Spain?
Regardless of your standard, and whatever level you wish to reach Don Quijote has a program to suit your needs!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Thursday 5 May 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
EasyJet Will Close Madrid Base as Profitability Suffers in Spain
EasyJet, Europe's 2nd largest budget airline, will stop basing crew and aircraft in Madrid starting this winter as overcapacity and high airport charges in Spain curb profitability.
Profit from EasyJet's Madrid operations is below that at its other bases, the company said today in a statement. "This is due to a combination of overcapacity in the Spanish airline market, leading to low revenue per passenger, combined with high airport charges which have more than doubled in the last 2 years," Luton, England-based EasyJet said.
Spain's government is battling to reduce its debt as the recession deepens, pushing unemployment above 24%. Barcelona-based Spanair SA in January became the first scheduled European carrier to fold since the last recession as the EU's highest jobless rate clipped traffic and the Catalonia government said it would no longer supply funds.
Easyjet will reduce capacity to Madrid by about 20% in the next financial year and to Spain as a whole by 7%. Total capacity will increase by about 5% in the 12 months ending Sept. 30.
International Consolidated Airlines Group SA (IAG)'s Spanish unit Iberia started a lower-cost division in March in an effort to stem losses on short-haul trips. Iberia posted a 170 million- euro loss in Q1.
Should they remain at current levels, this year's lower fuel prices will offset any restructuring costs, EasyJet said.
Latest News & Stories
- British expats in Europe living in fear of Brexit
- Bank of Spain sees rise in downside growth risks in last few months
- Unemployment drops in April as holiday season underway
- Expat Fraudster 'too pregnant' to face UK Court
- Spain issues warrants for Russian officials alleged to be linked to crime gang
- Brussels lowers Spainís public deficit forecast
- Spain new car sales rise 21.2 pct y/y in April
- Spanish Journos facing jail over Police leaks
- King Felipe to call further election on Tuesday
- Spain's Tourist Tax : Deterring Holidaymakers ?
- Can I claim compensation if my flight to Spain is cancelled or delayed ?
- Travel Insurance to Spain
- The 'EHIC' Card Explained