How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Monday 14 April 2014
- The Vegetarian Barbeque and the Unholy Sex
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
EC to investigate Spanish airport tax hike
The European Commission is to investigate the increase in taxes at El Prat and Barajas airports, to see if they are in breach of EC law, according to the transport commissioner, Siim Kallas.
The commissioner was responding to a written question by the CiU MEP, Ramon Tremosa.
Tremosa asked the EC if the tax increase should be applied equally for all airports, and if the traffic at both airports has increased sufficiently over the course of the year to justify such a rate.
The commissioner confirmed that Spain must apply the directive on airport charges, which states that "Airport users should consult on the amount and the fee system applied at airports with over 5 million passengers per year, or at least for the largest airport in each country".
These regulations basically allow each country to make it's own decisions concerning taxes applied at airports, providing there is "a common and transparent airport charging system to cover the airport network," said Kallas.
"By definition, a network of airports is the possibility of financial transfers between them", which states that the operation of a network does not invalidate the need for the managing body give full information to users about the structure cost of aviation infrastructure.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain Unemployment to take decade to recover
- Less vehicles in Spain travel toll roads
- Spain approves coal subsidies ahead of shutdowns
- Spain’s roads in worst condition since 1985
- Study reveals food and family main reasons behind expat repatriation
- Guardia Civil 'Brit Torturers' face 26 years
- Independent Catalaonia would not become EU member : Brussels
- Five Spanish regions top EU unemployment table for 2013
- Bank of Spain denies report of stress tests this month
- Expats capitalising on rising UK house prices
- Can I claim compensation if my flight to Spain is cancelled or delayed ?
- Travel Insurance to Spain
- Capital Gains Tax in Spain
- Duty Free Allowances