How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 19 December 2014
- Mr Grumpy v Angeles Duran
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
EC to investigate Spanish airport tax hike
The European Commission is to investigate the increase in taxes at El Prat and Barajas airports, to see if they are in breach of EC law, according to the transport commissioner, Siim Kallas.
The commissioner was responding to a written question by the CiU MEP, Ramon Tremosa.
Tremosa asked the EC if the tax increase should be applied equally for all airports, and if the traffic at both airports has increased sufficiently over the course of the year to justify such a rate.
The commissioner confirmed that Spain must apply the directive on airport charges, which states that "Airport users should consult on the amount and the fee system applied at airports with over 5 million passengers per year, or at least for the largest airport in each country".
These regulations basically allow each country to make it's own decisions concerning taxes applied at airports, providing there is "a common and transparent airport charging system to cover the airport network," said Kallas.
"By definition, a network of airports is the possibility of financial transfers between them", which states that the operation of a network does not invalidate the need for the managing body give full information to users about the structure cost of aviation infrastructure.
Latest News & Stories
- Netflix silent on reported Spain launch
- Lidl celebrates 20 years in spain with new store
- Airline declares 'No interest in flying to Castellon Airport'
- Most Catalans would vote to stay in Spain: poll
- Losses at Spain's 'bad bank' raise prospect of slow turnaround
- Paramount Murcia boss denies importance of Corvera Airport
- 10 Spanish Banks Reported for Illegal Fees
- Spain citizenship offer is 'empty gesture'
- Man drives car into PP HQ
- EC Slams 'Wasteful Spending' at Spanish Airport
- Can I claim compensation if my flight to Spain is cancelled or delayed ?
- Travel Insurance to Spain
- Capital Gains Tax in Spain
- Duty Free Allowances