How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
...you can learn Spanish at a variety of locations across Spain, online or residential and day courses in Spain?
Regardless of your standard, and whatever level you wish to reach Don Quijote has a program to suit your needs!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Thursday 23 October 2014
- Mr Grumpy v Angeles Duran
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain tourism body, carmakers warn over VAT hike
A sharp rise in Spain's sales tax rates will cost billions of euros in lost earnings and thousands of jobs, representatives of key industries said on Wednesday, complicating the country's efforts to pull itself clear of recession.
The tourism sector would lose around €2 billion, an industry body said, while car manufacturers estimated they would sell between 20,000 and 25,000 fewer vehicles in the next 5 months.
The PM announced the value added tax hikes on Wednesday as part of a scaled-up austerity programme imposed under pressure from European partners and designed to slash €65 billion from the public deficit by 2014.
General VAT was raised to 21% from 18% and the reduced rate for the leisure industry to 10% from 8%.
Tourism accounts for 11% of Spain's economic output and is one of the only engines of growth in the recession-hit country, where almost 25% are unemployed.
"The tourism sector regrets the government's lack of sensitivity for a strategic sector that is key to kick-starting and accelerating Spain's economic recovery," the Tourism Commission, made up of several industry bodies, said in a statement.
The industry had previously asked Spain's centre-right government to freeze VAT for the sector.
For every 1% increase in VAT, the industry will lose €1 billion and over 9,000 jobs, the Spanish Alliance for Excellence in Tourism, Exceltur, estimated.
The Spanish Association of Carmakers (ANFAC), which represents the local divisions of companies including Mercedes-Benz and Ford said the sales tax hike "will undoubtedly cause consumers to delay purchases at a time of little confidence."
Latest News & Stories
- Spain September retail sales up 1.1% year on year
- Three-Quarters of Spain's fighter jets unable to fly
- 'Thieving, Cheating Gypsies' v Royal Spanish Academy
- Venezuela recalls ambassador to Spain
- Volotea Airlines plans to establish 5 bases in Spain by 2016
- Spain says no going back on AENA IPO
- UN warns Spain on legality of spot deportation of illegal immigrants
- Rajoy : "Sorry for Corruption"
- Spain's ruling PP expels Rodrigo Rato
- Madrid moves to block new Catalan vote