How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
... Telefonica are NOT the only service provider of Telephone Lines, Internet Access or Mobile Phones?
Tumbit recommends Telitec Communications. Find out how Telitec Communications can help you here!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Monday 15 September 2014
- Corvera, Castellon & Ciudad Real : THIS is how you run a private airport!
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Cash buyers dominate Spain's property market
Cinco Dias has reported how Spanish Property sales have fallen by 71% since the burrst of the property bubble five years ago.
Before 2007 the property market was bouyed by easy available and affordable loans, however, now that access to credit has been restricted, only 43% of homeowners are even applying for mortgages, according to the statistical information center of Notaries.
With more than 500 foreclosures per day in Spain and a loan default rate of 8.95% (of which more than half is directly related to residential properties) Mortgages are becoming increasingly difficult to come by, which is causing a further dowward spiral of the property market.
"The most common alternative to the mortgage is cash" Javier Torre de Silva, Lawyer and partner at Albiñana & Suárez de Lezo told the press "Those who bought a property in cash before the crisis are still there. Foreigners and Spaniards with high purchasing power can also take advantage of the situation," he added.
Propety prices have now fallen by an average of 25% since teh market peaked in Q1 of 2008.
However, cash is not the only alternative to the mortgage when it comes to funding a property purchase. One alternatve is the personal loan, which also issued by most banks, but almost always works out more expensive in the long-run. "They end up costing more because the banks charge much higher interest. If the mortgage adds 1-2% onto the Euribor - which is currently about 1% - personal loans add 3-4% so end up paying about 5%, "said Torre de Silva.
Latest News & Stories
- Corvera Airport "will not cost Murcia a cent"
- Orange to Buy Spain's Jazztel for EU3.1 Bln
- PP u-turn over Spain abortion reform
- 11 Years of Spanish Property
- Spanish Consumer Prices Fall Further in August
- Catalonia awaits Scotland Independence vote
- Spain 'could export 50% of all Europe's Gas requirements'
- Ana Botin succeeds as Chair of Banco Santander following death of Emilio Botin
- President of Murcia called upon not to offer 'Corvera guarantees' to Paramount
- 15,000 Spanish Lawyers could lose immunity
- How to value a property in Spain
- How to legally rent your property in Spain
- Buying from an Estate Agent vs a Property Finder
- How Can I Protect Against An Unwise Property Purchase ?