How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
... Telefonica are NOT the only service provider of Telephone Lines, Internet Access or Mobile Phones?
Tumbit recommends Telitec Communications. Find out how Telitec Communications can help you here!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Monday 14 April 2014
- The Vegetarian Barbeque and the Unholy Sex
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Girona forces Supermarkets to lock bins
The Ayuntamiento of Girona in Catalonia has made the extraordinary move of instructing the Town's supermarkets to fit locks onto the rubbish bins they use to dump their out of date stock.
The worsening economy and increase in the level of unemployment in Spain has resulted in a dramatic increase in the number of people scavenging the bins for edible foodstuffs at the end of each working day, which the authorities are keen to put a stop to.
Officials at the Town Hall claim that the move has been taken in order to prevent any risks to social health, and because the sight of such scavenging the streets "causes alarm".
Instead, a system has been introduced to point those desperate enough to be forced to scavenge for food to local charities, where they will receive a food basket containing a number of food products.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain Unemployment to take decade to recover
- Less vehicles in Spain travel toll roads
- Spain approves coal subsidies ahead of shutdowns
- Spainís roads in worst condition since 1985
- Study reveals food and family main reasons behind expat repatriation
- Guardia Civil 'Brit Torturers' face 26 years
- Independent Catalaonia would not become EU member : Brussels
- Five Spanish regions top EU unemployment table for 2013
- Bank of Spain denies report of stress tests this month
- Expats capitalising on rising UK house prices
- Claiming Unemployment Benefits in Spain
- Spanish 'Large Family' Discount Card
- Claiming Spanish Benefits in Spain