How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
... Telefonica are NOT the only service provider of Telephone Lines, Internet Access or Mobile Phones?
Tumbit recommends Telitec Communications. Find out how Telitec Communications can help you here!
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- USD weekly currency update-29 April 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Girona forces Supermarkets to lock bins
The Ayuntamiento of Girona in Catalonia has made the extraordinary move of instructing the Town's supermarkets to fit locks onto the rubbish bins they use to dump their out of date stock.
The worsening economy and increase in the level of unemployment in Spain has resulted in a dramatic increase in the number of people scavenging the bins for edible foodstuffs at the end of each working day, which the authorities are keen to put a stop to.
Officials at the Town Hall claim that the move has been taken in order to prevent any risks to social health, and because the sight of such scavenging the streets "causes alarm".
Instead, a system has been introduced to point those desperate enough to be forced to scavenge for food to local charities, where they will receive a food basket containing a number of food products.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain sees GDP growth of 2.5 pct in 2018, 2019
- Prosecutor will use Manos Limpias arrest to get royal out of fraud trial
- EU intervention sought over UK-Spain Gibraltar airport row
- Spain breaks its own record for joblessness of over 20%
- Bank of Spain sees private consumption growth steady at start of year
- “Human fecal contamination” at origin of bottled water health scare
- Catholic nuns undergo virginity test to prove priest's innocence in sex abuse case
- EU may fine Spain for missing budget targets
- Leader of Manos Limpias union wants to withdraw all court cases
- Civil Guard officer arrested for shooting driver over traffic spat
- Claiming Unemployment Benefits in Spain
- Spanish 'Large Family' Discount Card
- Claiming Spanish Benefits in Spain