How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Wednesday 17 September 2014
- Corvera, Castellon & Ciudad Real : THIS is how you run a private airport!
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
"Catalonia will not remain part of EU" : President Mas
Italian daily La Repubblica has printed an interview with Catalan Premier Arturo Mas, where he agreed that the region would not automatically become an EU member state in the event of an independent Catalonia.
“I have given thought to the idea that in the initial moment between the referendum and the proclamation of the independence we could remain outside of Europe,” Mas told the newspaper. “This would be a shame because we want to remain in the EU.
“We would need to find a transitional regime to avoid expulsion from the EU.”
The President of Catalonia has called for a referendum into claiming Independence for the region in November 2014, despite the National Government of Spain declaring that such a measure would be illegal.
The comments are sure to cause concern to the pro-Independent first Minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond, who has previously stated how an Independent Scotland would be eligible to remain part of the EU.
The opinions of Herman Van Rompuy, the President of the European Commission, and EC President Jose Manuel Barroso, are aligned with that of President Mas.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain now most expensive for TV football
- Spain public debt falls June - July
- Four Catalans drive 1,500 miles to support Scotland's "Yes"
- Spain mulls prosecution of ISIL fighters
- Study reveals Barcelona as Spain's most expensive city
- Spain Warns It Will Block Independence Vote in Catalonia
- Corvera Airport "will not cost Murcia a cent"
- Orange to Buy Spain's Jazztel for EU3.1 Bln
- PP u-turn over Spain abortion reform
- 11 Years of Spanish Property
- Voting by post in Spanish elections
- The Legal and Judical System in Spain
- How to vote in the Spanish Elections