How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Tuesday 24 November 2015
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
"Catalonia will not remain part of EU" : President Mas
Italian daily La Repubblica has printed an interview with Catalan Premier Arturo Mas, where he agreed that the region would not automatically become an EU member state in the event of an independent Catalonia.
“I have given thought to the idea that in the initial moment between the referendum and the proclamation of the independence we could remain outside of Europe,” Mas told the newspaper. “This would be a shame because we want to remain in the EU.
“We would need to find a transitional regime to avoid expulsion from the EU.”
The President of Catalonia has called for a referendum into claiming Independence for the region in November 2014, despite the National Government of Spain declaring that such a measure would be illegal.
The comments are sure to cause concern to the pro-Independent first Minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond, who has previously stated how an Independent Scotland would be eligible to remain part of the EU.
The opinions of Herman Van Rompuy, the President of the European Commission, and EC President Jose Manuel Barroso, are aligned with that of President Mas.
Latest News & Stories
- Valencia town votes against fiestas with bulls at local referendum
- Ministry had warned of suicide risk in cell where British tourist died
- Government not ruling out further counter-terrorism measures
- Spanish retailers cheer signs of Christmas recovery
- Spanish economic growth improved from Q3 in October
- Spain's trade deficit falls by 1.1% up to Sept
- Spain’s road accident death toll already past 1,000 victims in 2015
- Three babies die of whooping cough in Spain within two months
- Guardia Civil divers and sniffer dogs search river for missing Scot
- Suspected Paris Attacks Organiser Recruited Spaniards Online
- Voting by post in Spanish elections
- The Legal and Judical System in Spain
- How to vote in the Spanish Elections