Blogs and advice from Industry leading Specialists
Valuable Opinions, Comments & Gossip
Financial related News & Articles relating to Spain
Latest News, Stories
& Hot Topics
Various Tools & Widgets to help with your financial needs
Tools & Widgets to
help with finances
Polls, Surveys and Opinions featured throughout Tumbit
Featured Polls, Surveys & Stats
Discussions, Advice & Topical Chat
Discussions, Advice & Topical Chat

Applying for Residential status (Residencia) - EU Citizens

- Updated: 24/01/2013
Applying for Residential status (Residencia) - EU Citizens

On 10 July 2012 the Spanish Government introduced details of the new residency requirements for all EU citizens, including British nationals.

According to the terms of the new rules, EU citizens applying for residency in Spain may be required to produce evidence of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and dependants). Applicants may also be asked for proof of private or public healthcare insurance.

Although previously many EU Citizens chose not to apply for their Residencia when they decided to make spain their permanent home, Royal Decree 240/07 states that those who have lived in Spain for 90 days must now apply. Not only is this now an obligation, it can make life here much easier and in many cases speed up the bureaucracy that they get involved in.

The benefits in applying for Residencia are...

  • It prooves that you have the legal right to live and work in spain.
  • Many financial institutions are still in the habit of asking for your Residencia details, like when you open a bank account or apply for a mortgage.

Applying for Residencia

There are two types of Residencia certificates : Temporary, for when you are planning to be here between 3 months and 1 year, and Permanent, which is valid for 5 years, but is renewable after that period.

The process of applying for your Residencia certificate is similar to that of getting your NIE and is done by going to the nearest provincial Police Station (Comisaría de Policía Provincial) that has a foreigners’ department (Oficina de Extranjeros). Most major towns in your province will have one of these.

Documents you will need to apply for your Residencia:

  • Your passport
  • 3 passport photographs
  • A completed form for each person applying for Residencia (including children) called EX18, and you should be able to get a copy from any local Tobaccos, or you can download it online via this link - Residencia Application Form (PDF format)
  • Proof that you live here (your Escritura, or your Rental Contract)
  • Your NIE
  • Payment of the 10 euro fee at the bank

As with every legal process that you undertake in spain, take photocopies of every document.

This is a lengthy process and can involve a lot of waiting - both in submitting the application, and waiting for it to be processed. You should also be prepared for the fact that the legalities concerning Residencia seem to change frequently and should be prepared for slight deviations from the procedure listed above.

As with applying for your NIE, this is a proceedure that your Gestor or Lawyer can generally assist you with.

Please click here if you wish to Apply for Residential status as a Non - EU Citizen .


Click HERE to read about recent changes (06.05.2011) to the Residencia card for EU Citizens.

Comment on this Article

How is all this likely to change after the Uk invokes article 50 and leaves the EU ?
Peter Briggs - Sat 25th Mar 2017
I am retired and live on my pension and my social security. I live alone so I will be the only person moving. I want to emigrate to Spain from the USA. Do I need a special visa to move there or do I just apply for residency when I get there?
Michael Mcalister - Thu 26th Jan 2017
hi , please can someone help me out .i have spanish residence for five years now but have not seen job yet but i have upto five thousand euro remaining in my account, can they give me the 10 yr long term residency since i have money to sustain my self?
Nina - Mon 22th Feb 2016
Hi, do I NEED to have residencia? I have recently moved here and opened a bar, but have been told I don't need to have residencia as long as I have an NIE, help please.
Anne Marie Mcnulty - Sat 12th Jul 2014
Rhian lots of answers on citizens advice bureau spain on Facebook.
Steve - Sat 26th Apr 2014
Hi there I have recently move to Malllorca and need my NIE number to start my new job I used to work here 6 years ago and no longer have my details or paper work do you know if I need to reply as new or get hold of my old NIE?? many thanks
Rhian Wyn Evans - Sat 26th Apr 2014
I suspect an individual has never renewed his residencia status for the past 10 years. What penalties, if any, does this person face ? Many Thanks
Bob R - Mon 3rd Jun 2013
Regarding health insurance cover and European citizens going to Spain to live for part of the year, while retaining ties to some other location eg UK. People in this category can apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This must be applied for in the "other" country through the public health system. Beware - some scam websites sell bogus cards. There is also a system of "S" forms eg S1. These provide temporary cover and become invalid when you take up (self) employment. You then start to pay Spanish national insurance to keep health cover. Theres also odd forms for cross-border workers and suchlike. Contact your local social security provider BEFORE you leave for Spain. Hope that helps!
Brian - Fri 29th Mar 2013
Too true!! But we love it anyway and in fairness most things we have tried to do have worked out well. The town hall are great where we are in Turre, Almeria despite only receiving half their salaries this month.
Steve - Fri 29th Mar 2013
I think coming from the UK where even if you disagree with the requirement it is basically the same for everybody anywhere in the UK. Here it changes in the same office almost on a day by day basis, l think we are now getting to know that most official contact is never going to be easy and will always require at least a second visit.
Kim - Fri 29th Mar 2013
Kim, you were very lucky then as we were definitely asked to show proof of health cover as we were not retired, the S1 form from Newcastle was the proof. There is lots of information out there in forums but I have no experience of autonomo.
Steve - Thu 28th Mar 2013
You no longer need photos we found out after having photos taken. As Steve below states most of your info above is out of date. My wife and l have just got our Residencia and once we had the correct requirements it could not have been simpler. The paper Residencia you now get, the size of credit card was printed and given to us there and then. We were not asked to prove any health care cover.
Kim Renkin - Thu 28th Mar 2013
Hiya, I heard the new laws with regards to applying for registration certificates for eu citizens.. Im british and looking to move to spain as self employed autonomo, I will be working from home... Once I try to get a registration cert, how easy would it be to do so after the new laws? What docs wud i need to show as an autonomo? Hoping for answers
Anna - Fri 15th Feb 2013
I'm sorry but your information here is totally out of date - even the EX-18 form is the wrong one. EC citizens now have to prove they have medical cover and the means to support themselves. And legal documents like bank statements are not accepted unless they are Spanish or offically translated to Spanish etc...
Steve - Wed 23rd Jan 2013
On Friday we went to Jaén to obtain residencias for my 2 children, we hadnt thought to do this last year when my husband and I applied. I took the original birth certificates and a translated copy but was told this must be legalised in Madrid. Can you tell me how i go about legalising translated documents?
Sam - Sun 13th Jan 2013
Raheel : You will automatically be awarded Residency here in Spain upon application, due to you being married to an EU Citizen (it is also helpful that you have a legal position of employment to come to). You should make this application as soon as you can, in person, at your local Comisaría de Policía Provincial. Make sure to take your passport and official certified translation of your Marriage Certificate with you.
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 8th Dec 2012
Hello, I am Pakistani but am married to a Bulgarian girl in cyprus, and also have Residency in Cyprus - but now I have to move to live in Spain to work - plz help me how to get Spain Residency.
Raheel - Sat 8th Dec 2012
Sandra : we have a guide on how to obtain citizenship, which you may like to read by clicking the link >> HERE << , however the very first question do address is whether all of the applicants have been resident here in Spain for the qualifying period of time.
Tumbit - Admin - Sun 9th Sep 2012
I am Egyptian but born in Spain from two foreigners Parents, holding now my Spanish birth certificate. I am 47years question is how to get a Spanish citizenship and then give it to my children 23 & 17 years old and my husband Thank you .
Sandra Mofid - Fri 10th Aug 2012
Hello Tumbit, Great, Thank you so much for taking the time to help with my query, so promptly. Also Thank you for a great website, with so much helpful information. Carole
Carole Quirke - Sun 3rd Jun 2012
Carole : Your actual address has no relevance to an NIE number, so you can apply for one wherever is most convenient for you.
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 2th Jun 2012
Hello, can you help please. We are living at present in Aguilas, Murcia until the 12th June, Then we move to San Juan in Almeria. Can we apply for our NIE card here in Murcia, as we need as soon as possible to register our car, (which has now been here 6 months on Uk plates) or will we have to wait till the move? Will the Authorities be concerned only 10 days to go? We would rather do the paperwork here. Thank you for any advice Carole
Carole Quirke - Fri 1st Jun 2012
Ivan : Yes, as an American Citizen your partner can legally stay in Spain for a period of up to 90 days without the need for any special permissions or permits. You may find our Guide for NON-EU residents useful. by clicking the link, Above ...
Tumbit - Admin - Wed 23rd May 2012
Hi, I am Spanish citizen who wants to get married with an American citizen, we want marry in Spain, is it possible for her stay in the country once the documents have been aproved ? Thankyou very much
Iván Maroto - Wed 23rd May 2012
Kjell : Your wife needs to complete the EX16 in order to apply for "Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión"
Tumbit - Admin - Fri 18th May 2012
Hi sir. I wonder what kind of form my wife needs ? She is Philippino and has familia visa for Spain. Maried to a Norwegian and we have a son together. My son and I already have permanent residency. We are all in Spain now, but dont get any help from the police...?
Kjell Ivar Valaker - Fri 18th May 2012

It is extremely difficult to write a definitive procedure for obtaining the residencia and the legalities surrounding it for 2 main reasons :

1) Because the process changes so frequently, that even the official government and local authority that are 'supposed to know', quite often have not been kept up to date with recent changes, and

2) There are on top of this also regional variations - for example a number of regions are currently trialing the new ID-type residencia, whilst in other areas this is not. For these reasons, it is recommended that any infiormation (ours included) is considered as a "Guide" only, and that you seek information locally to where you are based.

Tumbit - Admin - Fri 18th May 2012
Thanks Ed for this info but, I am fully aware of the taxation rules as I like to keep up to date on these things and also like everything legal and above board.
Carol Henderson - Thu 17th May 2012
@Margaret & @Carol - You do not need a residencia for social healthcare. I have lived here quite happily for 6 years without residencia and have my SIP card. As for taxation, having residencia means you are taxed as a resident. Any assets you have in the UK should be taxed by Spain. If you are being taxed as non-resident, the UK has a ouble taxation treaty whereby you can claim it back, or setup a UK company to avoid the tax altogether, find out more here 'Place Your Spanish Property Into A UK Company' - If you need to get a new residencia certificate or card, you should go to the office where your original was issued or where you would go to get it renewed...
Ed Bishop - Thu 17th May 2012
I'm sorry, Margaret, but the residencia card has changed a few times over the past few years. Mine is a paper and my husband, who applied a few months later, has the small card. The following info is provided by the Inland Costa web site. "Anyone who already has the A4 green Residents Certificate does not NEED to change to the new card size version. However, the new version is much easier to carry with you as ID and to show when paying in shops, etc." I am fully aware of the benefits of residencia and comply with all tax requirements. My green paper was accepted when I applied for my SIP card at the Social Security Office. Good luck
Carol Henderson - Thu 17th May 2012
According to 'the people' these papers are not proof of residency and if you have a house you will be classed as non residents and taxed on any properties that you have. Also if your husband or wife dies then you will have to pay inheritance tax as if you have never lived in the country. Supposedly you are 'supposed to' be a fiscal resident.
Margaret - Thu 17th May 2012
@Margaret No, this is not correct. I have a green sheet of paper, my husband has a small paper card (no photo). If it was how could we register for health care. Some people here do seem slow to be up to date on new regulations.
Carol Henderson - Thu 17th May 2012
We have been resident in spain officially since 2004 when we applied for residencia. We were issued with a card. When we renewed our residencia they took our card and gave us a sheet of paper. We have now been told that we are not in fact resident and should be treated as non residents. Is this correct ?
Margaret Taylor - Thu 17th May 2012
Hi, I have been desperately trying to find out what the prcoedure is if you have lost your paper residencia, my husband has lost his and we urgently need a replacement. Is there a special form or do we just go the Police Station in Cartagena as we do for renewal and explain the situation ? Thank you for help
Tracy - Wed 16th May 2012
Hi i'm roma & have applied for residence and work permit in spain and approved now my boss is not activating the the alta of my seguridad social. What Can I do? can my contract be changed to another employer or can shift to only residence card. I'm Indian by birth.
Roma - Tue 8th May 2012

Emelda : You should firstly read our "NON-EU residents section" and then make contact with the Spanish Embassy in Manila to discus your application :

Equitable Bank Tower, 27th floor

8751 Paseo de Roxas

1226 Makati City, Metro Manila


Tumbit - Admin - Mon 16th Apr 2012
I am a Filipina, i am here now in the Philippines, I have my Permiso de Residencia Y Trabajo - Temporal cuenta ajena with me but it is already expired. How can I go back again in Spain? Please help.
Emelda Talinio - Mon 16th Apr 2012
Vicky : If you have a question, let us know a little about your nationality and personal circumstances and we will see if we can help you.
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 25th Feb 2012
How long was this post put up? I heard it is a legal requirment...Need to know its important xx
Vickylou - Sat 25th Feb 2012
Kjell : As per the advice we gave you last week (below), You as a Norwegian Citizen are classed as an EU citizen for residency purposes and should therefore complete an EX18 (link to form, above) and deliver to your local Comisaria de Policia as soon as possible - most Towns have one with a 'Foreigners Office', where you can do this. Your wife should complete an EX13 Form to apply for residency as the Spouse of an EU Citizen. You have 90 days with which you should do this, although I would strongly recommend that you did this as soon as possible on entry in Spain.
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 25th Feb 2012
Hello, we live in the Philippines, I am a Norwegian married to a Philippina. We are settle down in Spain, my wife got familiare ue/eee/suiza visa, also sais C visa. What do we do when we arive Spain? What kind of forms must my wife fill out-and what kind of formula do I as a Norwegian feel out. And where do we go and deliver this ?
Kjell - Sat 25th Feb 2012

Kjell : It seems that the EX16 has recently changed so you now need to complete the EX13 instead. Also, if you click the link HERE, you can go directly to the Government website (in Spanish ) where you can download the forms and make an appointment at your local Police Station to do this.

Tumbit - Admin - Fri 10th Feb 2012
I wonder where i find the Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de la union-EX16 form ?
Kjell - Fri 10th Feb 2012

Kjell : For yourself, you can download and complete the EX18 form in the above link and hand it in to your nearest "Comisaría de Policía Provincial" Police Station, along with your documents - within 90 days. Your Residencia will be awarded immediately.

- Once you have this, you can apply for Residency for your wife using a "Tarjeta de residencia de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión" - EX16 form. Again, this should be awarded immediately on application.

If you speak a little Spanish there is no reason why you can't arrange this yourself, but I would suggest getting an Abogado or Gestor to help as it makes the process a little easier.

Tumbit - Admin - Thu 9th Feb 2012
Thank you so much for your answer. When we go to Spain does my wife then need a return ticket. Because I can't get her residency before I get it, means after we arrive Spain. And how much time does it takes, and where do I contact to get it ?
Kjell - Thu 9th Feb 2012

Kjell : There are 2 things for you to consider here :

1) Citizenship and Residency are two completely different things. You do not require Citizenship to live in Spain, but require Residency before you can apply for Citizenship, You can read a little more about Citizenship by clicking Here.

2) Although Norway is not an EU Member state, agreements with the EU (and therefore Spain) mean that your application to become a Resident is the same as any other EU National. Your Wife can then apply for Residency as the Spouse of an EU Family member.

Tumbit - Admin - Thu 9th Feb 2012
Hello, I am a Norwegian who is married to a Philippina, we got visa for my wife to Spain, howe do we get permanent Citizentship for here in Spain. We want to setle down in Spain.
Kjell Ivar - Thu 9th Feb 2012
Carol : Surely as the Wife of an EU Citizen you are eligible to UK residency as 'A Family Member'? - You can then also enjoy the same priviledges if and when you decide to move to Spain - marriage to an EU national should suffice here !
Mekon - Tue 31st Jan 2012
Hi, I'm an american that is married to a spanish national living here in the UK. My residency card has expired, as was wondering if I could have it renewed here in the UK, possibly at the Spanish consulate and they would forward my documents to Spain, if that is the case. UK border people won't accept my spanish residence card here to re-enter the UK to have it renewed in Spain. If I leave the UK, I might not be able to re-enter here to join my husband. Can I apply for a resident document or a visa to re-enter the UK again until I apply for the UK family member resident card, which is the same as in Spain, but they don't accept the spanish resident card here as in the rest of EU countries. Please help me. Could I get a visa to re-enter the UK again to join my husband? Thank you for responding.
Carol Boggs - Tue 31st Jan 2012
Thank you for that, I will not always here for 90 days because I go backwards and forwards to England which is why I haven't bothered about residencia but the car is/will be here always. I will change the plates but I don't want to surrender my driving licence... the problem is you hear/read so many conflicting things that you never know what to do for the best...
Eve - Wed 18th Jan 2012

Eve : No, having residency isn't a requirement when legally importing your car, but you will still be obliged to get your residency when you have been here for 90 days, so it would be a good idea to get it anyway.

- If you take a look at our Motoring section you may find some useful advise that will help you further.

Tumbit - Admin - Wed 18th Jan 2012
Hiya, I have an English plated left hand drive and want to convert it to Spanish plates. Do I need a residencia? I am from England and moved into our place in Spain in September. I am renting until this September. Thankyou !
Eve Brown - Wed 18th Jan 2012
Cheers Jo. I'll let you know if how I get on!
Carol Henderson - Wed 16th Nov 2011
Carol - yes, that's my understanding aswell.
Jo Green - Wed 16th Nov 2011
Thanks Jo. I had already managed to translate it this way. I'm just not sure whether I need to complete all sections. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I leave section 2 blank, unless a solicitor is applying on my behalf. Section 3, I think should be for my mail address. Section 4 I think is my reason for applying, though not clear what the first lines in this section are. I'm preparing myself for a long wait at the police station.
Carol Henderson - Wed 16th Nov 2011
Carol - not a brilliant work-around, but if you try pasting the link into Google Translate it gives you a reasonable idea of how to proceed.
Jo Green - Tue 15th Nov 2011
Hi, I managed to download the EX18 with no problems. However, English instructions on how to complete would be most useful. Most other sites give instructions for applying for the NIE , which I already have, (ex16) and this form seems more in depth. Completing section 1 was no problem but I could not complete sections 2,3,4.
Carol Henderson - Tue 15th Nov 2011
Hi I am self employed and want to come to Madrid for 6 month to a year or so. I will have income from abroad while I am there. If I stay in temporary accommodation like hostel can I still apply for residencia? I think I need residencia as my GB driving licence will expire and I cant renew it in GB as I dont live there anymore.
Brian - Tue 25th Oct 2011
Hi regarding your info for e u citizens. Went to Seville to get our residencia. Sent back home needed an enpadronamiento. Went home after a month got the form needed. Went back to Seville 50 km each way. Took photos which were not needed cost 12 euros and to our surprise they took our empadronamiento and replaced this with an A 4 sheet of paper with our name and address. Cant understand what you say about changes to the residencia card from 6/5/2011.
Margaret Taylor - Tue 4th Oct 2011
Teresa : As the spouse of a Spanish Citizen you legally remain in Spain for 90 days without doing anything. Once 90 days has passed you are then obliged to apply for an EU-family member residence card (tarjeta de residencia de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión). You can apply for this by completing an EX16 form and submitting it to your local Oficina de Extranjeros or Comisaría de Policía.
Tumbit - Admin - Sun 2th Oct 2011
Hello: Kindly provide me information regarding spousal sponsorship in Spain. My husband is a Spanish citizen and I am Canadian. We got married here in Ontario, Canada and we would like to get some information for my husband to sponsor me to Spain. Thank you very much Teresa
Teresa - Sat 1st Oct 2011
Thank for your help. I cant remember how I got on this website but it is the best. Margaret
Margaret - Wed 3rd Aug 2011
Margaret : In layman's tems : EX18 = The Application form itself / Model 790 = Payment form & Receipt of Payment
Tumbit - Admin - Wed 3rd Aug 2011
I am a bit confused What is the Modelo 790 for. Do we need that for residencia. Or as eu citizens do we need the Ex 18 Thanks Margaret
Margaret - Wed 3rd Aug 2011
Mr A : The link to the updated form has now been refreshed.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 2th Aug 2011
Dear Sir Madam are these forms the latest as we have been told we need to download an EX-18 form which is different from one above .
Mr Atkins - Tue 2th Aug 2011
Ronald : The Form your require is a 'Modelo 790' (Of which there are several types - You probably require the type 012, but this may depend on your circumstances - you should check). This form IS NOT available online as it is a 3 Copy Carbonated form and therefore needs to be collected form the Police Station.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 2th Aug 2011
Can I download the paper needed to pay 10 euro fee to the bank or do i have to go to the police station for this ?
Mr Ronald Atkins - Tue 2th Aug 2011
Margaret : An official Spanish Residency Photo size is 40mmH x 30mmW, but all photostudios / shops in Spain will be able to take the correct photo & print to the corret size if you explain what it is for.
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 25th Jul 2011
We have to renew our residencia which ran out we did not think we needed anything else. When you say passport photos do you mean English size or Spanish size. an you give us the sizes Thanks Margaret
Margaret - Mon 25th Jul 2011
Shirley : We are not qualified to, and do not know enough about your personal financial situation to advise you with regards to what course of action you should take for Tax reasons, however, 'in the majority of circumstances' it should make no difference to you. The recent changes to the law were really only in how residencia is granted : It used to be an A4 certficate, whereas it is now like a credit card and can be used as a valid form of ID. If you have no financial investments or commitments in the UK, and are planning on making a will in Spain then there is no reason why you should not apply for residential status.

The reason I mentioned the Padron is because a small number of Town Halls will only issue a padron to those who are resident here in Spain.

You can click Here' to read a little more about the Padron.

Tumbit - Admin - Wed 20th Jul 2011
thank you for your help what is the padron certificate for and when may i need to have this
Shirley Reid - Wed 20th Jul 2011
if resident will we pay less tax we have no other property than the one we live in now in spain i thought you mentioned this 90 day law had changed what is the padon certificate and what is this used for
Shirley Reid - Wed 20th Jul 2011
Shirley : It is not so much a benefit as a legal obligation once you have lived here in Spain for 90 days or more (However, it is also true to say that this is rarely a punishable offence if it something that is NOT done). As long as your Town Hall will issue with a padron certificate it is not something that should change things for you that much on a practical level - unless you have business dealings and investments etc... that are based on the understanding that you are a UK resident. It is not a timely or expensive procedure, so our advice would be to move over here and then review your options a little closer to the 90 day watershed. An Aseso / Accountant should be able to advise you what the implications are to you and may be able to assist you with any application.
Tumbit - Admin - Wed 20th Jul 2011
we are both retired and have bought a property in spain we were thinking of becoming residents we live on an english pension and have no morgage would it benifit us in any way to become residence w e have been down to town hall who gave us know help at all and said they didn t understand when we asked what we had to do so we are wondering if to try again or just stay as we are hoping for your help thank you shirley reid
Shirley Reid - Wed 20th Jul 2011
Dear Sir Actually my PDF is not working correctly at this moment can you please send me the I will really appreciate it. Thank you Zahid Rehman
Zahid Rehman - Sat 9th Jul 2011
Zahid : The link to the EX16 form that you need to complete is contained in the above article.
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 9th Jul 2011
Dear Sir Hello once again this is Zahid Rehman With. i have a question here from you that right now i am not living their is Spain and i would like to be their so what should i do to get the form and i would like to pay every thing which is needed. kindly send me the links for that. waiting for the Links Thank you Zahid Rehman
Zahid Rehman - Sat 9th Jul 2011
how can apply this
Faizan - Sun 3rd Jul 2011
Eddy : Your Passport and Your Residency are 2 completely different things ...
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 31st May 2011
Ihave not recieved my passport I applyed 2 months ago.So I need to know the status.
Eddy Odds-smith - Tue 31st May 2011
Faria : Have a read over our section on How to obtain Spanish Citizenship - you may find the answers you are looking for there.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 10th May 2011
thanks! your answer are quite helpfull when my residancia card will expire then by the time my dad complete his 10 years in spain so he will apply for naionalty so if i live under him then i can get nationality as well or i will be over 18 so i have to wait another 5 years?
Faria - Tue 10th May 2011
Faria : If you keep possession of your passport and Residencia card, you are fine to remain here in Spain until it expire in 5 years time. In 5 years time you will either have to renew as a family member (in which case you will need your Father's help) OR apply in your own name (In which case you will need to have a legal contract of employment). You can apply for citizenship once you have held residency for 10 yrs.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 10th May 2011
Thanks. I don't know about amcopy but each of our family members have their own residencia card which is valid for 5 years and we all have our own passports. So, if I find work and start to live alone, after five years when my residencia will expire can I apply for 5 years visa and then after 10 years later can i get nationalty my self or still i need my dad help please let me know thanks again.
Faria - Tue 10th May 2011
Faria : an NIE number is simply a reference for financial & tax purposes - you should have one, but it will not make any difference to your Residencia either way. At this stage you require the Family Residency Visa in order to remain in Spain - until you find a job or manage to secure a student visa instead. However, the visa lasts for 5 years, so if you can secure a copy that should be ok.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 10th May 2011
Firstly, thanks for your answer - the thing is when I came I was 17, I am going to be 18 this July 2011 and I have no work and still living with my parents. I think I have an NIE number. Will this effect my residencia OR NOT? I am still going to college to learn spainsh. My Dad want me to take me back home and marry my cousin but I don't want to marry him as I don't like him, but my Dad is saying that if i don't he will cancel my visa which is a family visa for five years - then I have to go back home or he said after five years he will not help me I don't know what to do?
Faria - Tue 10th May 2011
Faria : Two things here : Firstly you should read the section about NON-EU citizens applying or Residencia (see link above) - If you are confident that you can fullfil all of the required criteria on your own, then yes you can apply for Residencia in your own name. If NOT, then you will have to re-apply as a Family member, which will be easier to do anyway.
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 9th May 2011
Hi - I am Pakistani and my dad brought us here on family visa a year ago. My dad applied for five year residencia and after that we got five years permanenet residencia as well. In five years time I will be over 18. Do I still need my dad help for residencia or I can do it my own ?
Faria - Mon 9th May 2011
Lilian, as an EU Citizen the whole process is very straightforward, however, if possible I would recommend that you asked a Gestor to help you with the process. If you wish to tackle it yourself just follow the steps above - and be prepared to wait in a queue !
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 7th May 2011
i live in spain for 3 years now, please what are the requirement, and i have a baby girl here in spain, and my son is not born here in spain, are we goin to put in for resident permit as family?
Lilian Sandra - Sat 7th May 2011
Helo sir 1).My wife is Portugesa. in 2006 we married in swedon. regstd.our marriage in spain and got (tarjeta familar de la union). from 05 years Im working. Now I have fijo job contract. 2)About 02 or 03 years my wife is not in my contact. I donot know she is alive or dead. 3)Now i have to renew the card. in this situtation can i renew the card. if yes pls tell required dcuments in detail ( My docs and her docs). 4) I want to divorce her. can i divorce her ALONE in spain.(married in swedon) Pls answer in detail
Arif - Wed 4th May 2011
Irfan : It tells you that in the above article.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 3rd May 2011
i live in barcelona ago 3 years butt i have no residencia card, i want to get residencia card. but i dont know how can get card, pls. tell me can get card and wich kind documents requir. i am waitting your reply thanks
Irfan - Tue 3rd May 2011
Cristina : Officially, you are required to present just your husband's passport, but it may be a good idea to take yours aswell to prove your nationality if required. Also, the original marriage certificate is all that is required. I would also recommend taking 2 copies of all documentation that you provide - 1 to keep safe at home incase of loss and 1 to leave with your application if requested.
Tumbit - Admin - Sun 1st May 2011
Thanks for guidence, my husband is non EU. for renewal his residency he needs origional documents 1. His own Passport only. or my passport (EU citizen pasport) also. 2.Origional marriage certificate oldone or issue new copy of marriage certificate. Please inform me in detail
Cristina - Sat 30th Apr 2011
1) As an EU national your Residency certificate is good forever without renewal, You can apply for permenant Residency after 5 years if you choose. 2) Assuming that your husband is NOT an EU National, then he just needs to repeat the process for a renewal. 3) Original documents required : Passport, Marriage certificate, Padron, 3 x Passport photos, Proof of fee being paid.
Tumbit - Admin - Fri 29th Apr 2011
I m cristina national portugees. I registered myself in spain and got NIF no.They issued me NIF on a green paper. This paper has no expiry date. Is it a permanent card for me. or i have to apply again for renewal. (if apply after how much time). 2. My husband tarjeta familiar de la union is expiring now in 2011. which one documents are required for renewal his residecy. 3.Is there any need of my documents (origional or photocopy)or i have to go at there with him.
Cristina - Fri 29th Apr 2011
No reason...Just never thought it was a must! my children have medical cover and they go to school here. I will do it as a precaution but like you said it does seem a very extreme step to take. I dont know if they are trying to put the frightners on me or what. i just dont understand at all.
Vicky - Mon 18th Apr 2011
I would have thought not. I would have expected maybe threatening to withdraw state benefits etc... but to take your children into custody sounds unlikely and extreme. Try and get something in writing as soon as possible to confirm what their position is and then speak with lawyer if things progress any further. I would still consider applying anyway - is there a specific reason why you haven't ?
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 18th Apr 2011
i agree with what you say...but is really grounds for threatening to take the children away?
Vicky - Mon 18th Apr 2011
Vicky, assuming you are an EU Citizen, what have you got to lose by keeping them happy and applying ? Granted, it is really only a means of the authorities being able to keep track of foreigners, but the law clearly states that this is a procedure that you should go through - especially if you are expecting to benefit from services such as State healthcare and education.
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 18th Apr 2011
i have lived in spain now for 4 years and was recently told by the social services that they are not legal as they dont have residecias or n.i.e's....they have given me up until may 3rd to sort it or they have threatened taking the children into custody....are they illegal? or is it social services wanting me to do the paper work for their benefit?
Vicky - Mon 18th Apr 2011
Maybe you can answer this? i was born in spain and lived there for 3 1/2 years then moved to the states and became citizen @ 4 years old, Am i still spanish citizen by birth ? does spain allow dual citizenship!
Lloyd Pepper - Tue 5th Apr 2011
Raza, you don't say what your Nationality is. If you are a Non-EU citizen you should click the link (above) for more infor on the procedure.
Tumbit - Admin - Sun 3rd Apr 2011
how can i get spainish residency of spain? i have reached in spain four month ago. i have italion visa now i want work permission in spain. how i can get please tell me
Raza Choudry - Sun 3rd Apr 2011
Anajane - You don't say whether you are an EU citizen or not, and whether this will be a renewal or a first application ? - either way, as long as your husband is a resident here, you should be eligible to get residencia through the EU Family-member Residence Card (Tarjeta de Residencia de Familiar de Cuidadano de la Union).
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 2th Apr 2011
Sir , I am married and have a baby boy who was born here in Spain - both my husband and baby have a residence card.I have been here in Spain for almost 4yrs now.I have been trying my best to apply In order to get my residence card but, its hard for me to get it! - what is the best thing to do to apply for it? - Is there anyway that the government give me the best way to do it! - is it possible too that the govmnt can approve me to get my residence card?im also working to a good people who are willing to support me whatever they need on my papers!pls help.
Anajane Calub Pobrd - Sat 2th Apr 2011
Shami, yes - as somebody who is legally employed here in Spain you should have little problem in renewing your residency permit in your own right. The documents that you may be requested to produce are : valid passport; appropriate visa; previous residency documents; certificate of no criminal record; some photos proof of employment / income; proof of health cover (Social Security card); proof of married status. It would be a good idea to make a few copies of all of these documents - keep 1 at home as aback up and take the originals plus 1 copy with you. I would also recommend that a qualified lawyer or gestor assist you with this renewal application.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 29th Mar 2011

Mylene, I would advise that he gets in contact with the Spanish Embassy in the Phillipines to resolve this as soon s possible - I suspect that it may just be the case that he has to re-apply for a new permit :

Dirección: 5th floor, A.C.T. Tower. 135Sen. Gil J. Puyat Av.1200. Makati, Metro Manila.

Teléfonos: 818 35 61 & 818 35 81

Tumbit - Admin - Tue 29th Mar 2011
Thanks, 1) I'm not divorced, but my wife is not in my contact. I want to get my next residency Permanent familiar de la union without my wife's documents - is this possible? If not, which of my wife's documents are required? would they need to be photocopies or origional? 2) I have fijo job contract. I have spent 5years with regular work. 3) On this basis can I get general permanent residency? Awtg
Shami - Mon 28th Mar 2011
Hi, I am from the Phillipines and have a problem with my son. He is in the Philippines on vacation, but now I want to bring him home to Spain. They said if you are NOT Spanish national you can't stay more than 6months outside of Spain - my problem is he has already been 8 Mons in Philippines. He has a residence permit/ reagrupación familiar... not yet expired - what should I do so he can travel again back here to Spain ?
Mylene - Fri 25th Mar 2011
Shami, if I understand you correctly you are asking if you are still able to apply for the "Tarjeta de residencia permanente de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión" now that your 5 year period of temporary residency is coming to an end, and you have divorced your wife ? - If this is the case there ARE certain instances when you can do this, but I would strongly recommend that spoke to a qualified Abogado or Gestor to assist you with your application.
Tumbit - Admin - Thu 24th Mar 2011
Hi sorry in 2005 no in 2006 i got 5year card. In 2011 i have to get tajeta de residencia permanente de familiar. Now i need infomation about requied docs and procedure. 2. is it possible without wife docs. on my own behalf i have fijo job contract i spent 5years in spain and i get it normal larga duracion residecy with out divorce.
Shami - Wed 23rd Mar 2011
Shami, given that you have been here in Spain more than 5 years, do you currently hold a "Tarjeta de residencia permanente de familiar de ciudadano de la Unión" ?
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 22th Mar 2011
Hi.In 2005 i got residencia familiar de la union. my wife is portugeesa. now i want to renew it. i have fijo job contract pls tell me required Documents. can i get next permanent residecy with out wife.
Shami - Tue 22th Mar 2011
hi,i am filipino and i have son that i lifted him in the philippines for morethan 6mons. he has a residence visa here in spain,and now i want him to bring again here in spain,is there any requirement or any problem to bring again my son here,,,the validity of his visa is until 2014...thanks
Mylene Gromeo - Sun 6th Mar 2011
Lilian, if you have Spanish residency for yourself, then it will follow that your daughter is entitled to take it aswell, but you will need to apply for this after the birth has been registered. Residencia Visas for non-EU citizens must be renewed every 5 years.
Tumbit - Admin - Wed 2th Mar 2011
i am a nigerian and have my baby in spain, is my baby entitle to have her residencia here. when and for how long.
Lilian Sandra - Wed 2th Mar 2011
Alex, assuming that you are a Nigerian CITIZEN and your wife is a Polish CITIZEN, then she can easily come to Spain and get residenct here as an EU citizen (see above article). You and your son can then come with her as Non-EU family members and apply for residency. You should do this within 3 months of arrival by contacting your nearest 'Oficina de Extranjeros or Comisaria de Policia' and completing an EX16 form for each of you induvidually. As you are all essentially applying as an extention of the "EU" rules, money in a bank account is not as much of an issue as if you were applying as non-EU nationals.
Tumbit - Admin - Thu 10th Feb 2011
Hi, I am Nigerian married to a polish woman.We are planning to move to spain with our son. I'd like to know if it's easy to get a spanish residence permit?and what documents do we need? Must we have money in our bank account before they can grant us a residence permit? Best regards.
Alex Ola - Thu 10th Feb 2011
Solomon, I can't answer for the Norwegian system, but I would guess the answer to be NO. IF you had Citizenship (as opposed to Residency) in Spain you could work in other EU Member States, however, Norway is NOT a member of the EU. See the link in the post below if you would like to see how to apply for Citizenship.
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 17th Jan 2011
Good day, pls l have spanish residence 2years, can l get a job in norway with the residence. Thanks for your co-operation
Solomon Chima - Mon 17th Jan 2011

Shamsher, it may be of interest to you to click here and read How to Apply for Spanish Citizenship.

Tumbit - Admin - Wed 22th Dec 2010
It is easiest way to become legal for foreigners in Europe. But pls make an easy way for Citizenship of Spain also. Process of citizenship and period of 10 years is very difficult as compared to Portugal & Belgium etc... Hope u will inform me with a good change! Awtg
Shamsher - Wed 22th Dec 2010
Esther, if your daughter is just intending to visit for a period of no more than 90 days then (Depending on her nationality) she may not need a visa at all, or maybe a Schengen Visa may be all that is required. If you click HERE you can read some more to see if it is applicable ...
Tumbit - Admin - Fri 17th Dec 2010
My name is Esther Idemudia Vizor, I live here in Spain with my husband and some of my children with a European Community Residents Permit. I want my daughter to and visit us on vacation. How do I go about it ?. Thanks for your help.
Esther Idemudia Vizor - Fri 17th Dec 2010
Derek, officially you are required to attend your local 'Oficina de Extranjeros' and produce your original Residency Certificate, where they will cancel it and produce a 'Baja' in it's place (Which essentially confirms that you are no longer resident) - make sure that this carries the offical stamp & date, and that you take a number of copies or scan to your PC.
Tumbit - Admin - Thu 1st Jul 2010
Hi, Can you please show me details on how to cancel Residencia. Thank you
Derek Neale - Thu 1st Jul 2010
Tony, it does - it may just be that your PDF reader needs updating.
Tumbit - Admin - Tue 29th Jun 2010
very useful but the link to EX16 does not work
Tony Walker - Tue 29th Jun 2010
Thought article was informative and concise. The download is handy too. Advice to check details nearer the time, a good idea. Thanks.
Pauline Broughton - Fri 25th Jun 2010
Guys, further to unexpected interest you can click here to read this section to Apply for Residential Status as a NON - EU Citizen
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 21st Jun 2010
Hi, I'm Indian by birth,but living in the UK on a student visa for the last 9 Months. I need a Spain Paramenent Resident Visa - is this is possible ? If so, please can you let me know how.
Bhupendra Chaudhari - Mon 21st Jun 2010
hola soy hondureña y tengo residencia española y necesito sacar el visado americano con residencia española qe debo hacer
Maria Delcarmen Ceballos - Fri 18th Jun 2010
Susan, Click this link to read our article Can I Claim Disability Allowance in Spain ? - You may find it useful
Tumbit - Admin - Sun 13th Jun 2010
I receive incapacity benefit in UK. If I move to Spain can I get any benefit there, and if so how?
Susan - Sat 12th Jun 2010
Can I download form Modelo 790 for bank payment for renewal of residencia
Jean - Tue 1st Jun 2010
Many thanks for your quick response - and please carry on if you have any more helpful information. MUCHAS GARACIAS !
Thakur - Tue 25th May 2010
Thakur / Godwin, as Non-EU Citizens you will need to contact the Embassy representing your own country here in Spain and apply for a 'Visado de Residencia'
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 24th May 2010
Hi, hola. Myself thakur need your help about this process. I have been here in spain 5 months and i'm an indian of 34 years old. Pls give me the proper direction. Thankyou & Muchas Gracias.
Thakur - Mon 24th May 2010
Please I need to know the necessary step to take.
Godwin - Thu 20th May 2010
I would point out that the residencia certificate availavble at the present time is NOT suitable for identification purposes as it does not have a photograph included on it so one must continue to carry a passport for identification . In some establishments, one can use a Spanish driving licence for this purpose but for other official business, a passport is necessary.
Mary Mc Donnell - Sun 16th May 2010
Thanks Lloyd - If you had made an appointment at the Comisaria, then yes - it can be a much quicker process, however, if you simply turn up and wait in line this can be very time consuming - although I accept that this will vary from Town to Town and day to day. Our Local Comisaria DID ask for the Photo's to be produced, and whilst this may not be the case in all areas, we beleive that it is a much better practise to prepare for all evantualities. One of our regular contributors has written a blog about his personal experiences in obtaining his Residencia, which you can read via this link -
Tumbit - Admin - Sun 2th May 2010
This is a VERY simple process and the article is misleading. You do need an NIE and the proof of living in Spain but you ALSO need to be registered to vote where you live (on the padron" as it is known). We did NOT need photographs nor did we need copies of the forms or passport etc. It took us 45 minutes including calling in at the bank to pay the fee.
Lloyd Earle - Sun 2th May 2010
PJ, for an 'unofficial' translation click the link (above) to open the EX16 form. Then copy the link URL from your browser and paste it into - this will translate the form for you ( remember that you can only submit it in the Spanish language ). If you click our "Legal Formalities" section under "How to Guides" you will find an article about NIE numbers.
Tumbit - Admin - Thu 22th Apr 2010
I have an appointment at the police station in spain on 27/04/10 for residencia I know I need 3 photos/passport and and to pay fee at bank. Can I get the form translated in English. Also, how do I get my NIE number?
Pj - Thu 22th Apr 2010
Best explanation I've had so far !
Eddie Graham - Wed 14th Apr 2010
Henry, the procedure to follow as a Non-EU citizen is much different and more complicated that I have indicated above and varies greatly on your circumstances - such as whether you have work or not, and whether you are moving with your family or not. You should start the whole process by applying for a 'Visado de Residencia' at your own country's embassy in Spain.
Tumbit - Admin - Sat 27th Mar 2010
I am a Nigerian, I have been in this country for over 4 years without residence, I realy dont know what to do about it, I have applied before but my application was denied, the authority said it was due to police character, so I realy need our advice on what to do!
Henry Festus - Fri 26th Mar 2010
You now do not need photos any more when applying for your residencia - You now get a piece of paper.
Mike - Sat 13th Mar 2010
- I apologise, If I understand you correctly you are asking what the process is for renewing your residencia ? - If this is the case then you simply need to complete the EX16 Form (attached on the same page)and submit it to the same Police Station. ## Ich entschuldige mich, wenn ich Sie richtig verstanden, du fragst, was der Prozess für die Verlängerung Ihres residencia ist? - Ist dies der Fall ist, dann müssen Sie nur die EX16 komplette Form (auf der gleichen Seite befestigt) und legt ihn dem gleichen Polizeistation.
Tumbit - Admin - Thu 11th Mar 2010
Antrag auf die Verlaengerung der Residencia 2010
Wilhelmine Goessl - Thu 11th Mar 2010
Patrick, If you click on the PDF application form in the above text, and then drop the URL into Google Translate it will show you the full smallprint of the document in English. Basically it says that, assuming you are an EU citizen, you use the same form - EX16 - to renew your certificate.
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 15th Feb 2010
Excellent info, but I should like to know what is necessary to re apply for Residencia? Our present cards expire on 17th April 2010 Thank you Patrick
Patrick Malmsteen - Mon 15th Feb 2010
Hi and thanks very much for your response. I will get the required form and take it from there. You've been a great help. Regards, Susie
Susie Norris - Sat 13th Feb 2010
thank you for your quick response, its nice to know there are still genuine people out there to give free advice, we will now take your advice and find a qualified asesor, and look forward to your reviews on other aspects of spanish law, well done
John Jones - Thu 11th Feb 2010
Susie, the E121 is basically a form that enables you to transfer your State Healthcare entitlement from the UK to Spain - BUT only if you receive a UK state pension, Incapacity or bereavement benefits. If you do not qualify for any of the above and have NOT been paying into the Spanish state system you may wish to look at the E106 form.This applies if you are taking early retirement and have been in Spain less than 2 years.(# Please note due to not having all your details we can only give you very general advise ). With regards to your application for residencia, we would advise you to do this through an Abogado or Gestor - they should also be able to give you the best advise on the process of applying for state healthcare in Spain.
Tumbit - Admin - Thu 11th Feb 2010
Hi, I would like to get my residencia, but having read this article, it appears I need a Medical Certificate. Can you please tell me where I get one. I've been told I need an E121?? I am taking early retirement, as I had a stroke last year and can't work, but don't receive any uk benefits. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks, Susie
Susie Norris - Thu 11th Feb 2010
John, the current law simply states that if you intend to spend less than 187 days in Spain then you are not deemed to be resident for tax purposes.This means that you can therefore opt out of the Spanish system and back into the system in the UK. In order to do this the law (As far as leaving Spain is concerned) states that you simply need to return your documentation to your nearest "Oficina de Extranjeros" - We would strongly recommend that in doing this you firstly took photocopies and asked for an official cancelation stamp and/or receipt of this being done. This is a complex issue, and everybody's situation is different - and given that you own a property in Spain we would STRONGLY recommend that you spoke with a qualified and professional Asesor in order to receive the best possible advise before proceding with any such action.
Tumbit - Admin - Thu 11th Feb 2010
Very good article. We have decided to return to the UK. We own a property in Granad - Should we hand in our residencia card ? - We need to get back on the UK system, is there a problem and how do we go about it ? many thanks, John
John Jones - Thu 11th Feb 2010