How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Thursday 24 April 2014
- Things that have annoyed me this week
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Bank of England keeps rates at 0.5 percent as expected
The BoE has held interest rates at 0.5 percent since the depths of the recession in March 2009, though last month one policymaker unexpectedly voted for an increase to 0.75 percent because of ongoing above-target inflation.
As usual, the central bank made no statement alongside its rate decision. A voting breakdown will only be available with the publication of the MPC minutes on July 21.
The BoE made no announcement of changes to the 200 billion pounds of assets, mostly British government bonds, purchased with newly-created money under its quantitative easing scheme between March 2009 and February 2010.
Not one of the 61 economists polled by Reuters expected a rate move, with most not seeing any monetary tightening until mid-2011 at the earliest as policymakers seek to offset the impact of massive government spending cuts.
BoE Governor Mervyn King said last month that the central bank would raise interest rates before it sold these assets.
British inflation remains well above the central bank's 2.0 percent target at 3.4 percent, but some of the factors that pushed it to a 17-month high in April - such as rising oil prices and weaker sterling - have now gone into reverse.
Latest News & Stories
- Corvera's SACYR to raise €416 mln in shares
- Argentina OKs settlement with Spain's Repsol over YPF
- Spain: Protests and the suffocating embrace of the law
- Spain's Caixa, Sabadell signal turnaround with bad debt falls
- Spanish yields hit new lows as economy accelerates
- Bankinter profit rise sets positive tone for Spain's banks
- Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- Spain "Violated Human Rights of Illegal Immigrants" : ECHR
- Spain to cut 2014 net debt issuance on higher tax revenue
- A fifth of British expats in Spain left last year