How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Corvera, Castellon & Ciudad Real : THIS is how you run a private airport!
- Daily Brief - Friday 11 July 2014
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Spain raises €60 million in online gaming back-taxes
Spain has raised around €60 million in back taxes from gaming companies this week after Britain’s Betfair said it had settled with the authorities for a sum of under €10 million.
Gaming companies are scrambling to pay off their liabilities in time to qualify for online licences the Spanish authorities are due to award on June 1.
Betfair said it expected to be awarded a licence covering its sportsbook next month and some casino products and plans to apply for a poker licence shortly afterwards.
The company this month won one of the first online gambling licences issued in Germany.
Bwin.party digital, the world’s largest listed online gaming company, said on Monday it would pay €33 million to settle a bill relating to the January 2009 to May 2011 period when companies were operating in a market without a clear legal framework.
Sportingbet followed suit on Tuesday, paying €17.2 million to settle its arrears.
Spain is one of a number of European countries that are regulating online gaming, a potentially lucrative source of revenues for austerity-hit economies.
Although taking a short-term hit, analysts say larger operators stand to benefit from clearer regulation that removes some of the uncertainty hanging over the sector.
Latest News & Stories
- Spain welcomes record number of international visitors
- Spain's 80% social security payment cuts grows self-employed by 267,000
- Spanish to become 'dominant' language in UK schools
- Spain watchdog backs shorter telecoms contracts
- UK MEP slams Spain's blame of crisis on Gays
- Spain to create 500,000 m2 mall space by 2016
- Earthquakes hit Southern Spain
- Gibraltar dismisses Spain’s ‘fanciful’ tax claims
- 1 Year Since Paramount Murcia Promise
- Spain sees EU130 Mln in aid to Canary tomatoes in 5 years