How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
CLICK HERE to find out more...
- For Whom the Road Tolls
- Spanish Tourism Stats Confusion
- Mixed Reaction to ECB Rate Cut
- Join us on the Costa del Sol to discuss your Spanish IHT requirements
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Unauthorised Financial Advisers in Spain : UPDATE
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Caldendar Girls
- Own a Property in Spain ? Then you need to read the following
- EU Summit Eagerly Anticipated
- Travel Money Made Easy !
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain to vote on austerity plan
Spain's parliament will today hold what is expected to be a tight vote on whether to approve the government's plans to cut €15 billion off the fiscal deficit with measures including salary cuts for public workers and pension freezes.
The government is expected to see its proposals approved with a narrow majority, but voting will be tight since the Basque Nationalists said yesterday they will side with the main opposition Popular Party and oppose the cuts.
Spain's Socialist government's 169 seats do not give it an absolute majority in Spain's 350 seat lower house so it needs support or abstentions from opposition parties to pass measures.
It is expected that Catalan centre-right CiU nationalist party's ten members will abstain, allowing the government to narrowly pass the measures despite widespread opposition.
The austerity plan had been introduced through a decree, meaning it has already gone on to the statute books.
The government's plan aims to save an additional €15 billion and includes wage cuts of 5 per cent for civil servants this year. It aims to cut the budget deficit to 9.3 per cent of gross domestic product this year and then to 6 per cent in 2011, down from 11.2 per cent last year.
Comment on this Story
Latest News & Stories
- Spain to veto Scotland entry to EU ?
- Spain's obsession with the AVE runs into budget reality
- 12 Months since "Castellon Airport open this year" promise
- 12 Months today since "Corvera open by October" Promise
- Spain Property Prices Decelerates Most in Q4 2012
- Spain's ECB bank borrowing falls again in May
- Spain's public debt soars to 88.2 pct of GDP in Q1
- Rajoy calls on ECB to create bank lending scheme for SMEs
- Paramount Murcia Investor files for Bankruptcy
- Questions asked over Castellon Airport Firetrucks