How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Monday 8 February 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spain to vote on austerity plan
Spain's parliament will today hold what is expected to be a tight vote on whether to approve the government's plans to cut €15 billion off the fiscal deficit with measures including salary cuts for public workers and pension freezes.
The government is expected to see its proposals approved with a narrow majority, but voting will be tight since the Basque Nationalists said yesterday they will side with the main opposition Popular Party and oppose the cuts.
Spain's Socialist government's 169 seats do not give it an absolute majority in Spain's 350 seat lower house so it needs support or abstentions from opposition parties to pass measures.
It is expected that Catalan centre-right CiU nationalist party's ten members will abstain, allowing the government to narrowly pass the measures despite widespread opposition.
The austerity plan had been introduced through a decree, meaning it has already gone on to the statute books.
The government's plan aims to save an additional €15 billion and includes wage cuts of 5 per cent for civil servants this year. It aims to cut the budget deficit to 9.3 per cent of gross domestic product this year and then to 6 per cent in 2011, down from 11.2 per cent last year.
Latest News & Stories
- Olive oil prices jumped almost 20% in 2015
- IBM Spain to withdraw redundancy plan
- Spanish grave opened on order of Argentine judge unearths painful past
- PSOE leaves territorial issues to one side in bid to close cross-party deals
- Spain's image improves 'almost around the world'
- Spain arrests seven with suspected Islamist militant links
- Podemos would overtake PSOE at new election
- UK urges Expats to vote in EU exit referendum
- Final Nail in the Coffin lid for Paramount Murcia ?
- AVE Train to Murcia's Corvera Airport to arrive in 2016