Moving abroad can be a mammoth task, and the success is in the planning. You might want to print off and keep this page to ensure that you have considered every aspect of your moving and your new live abroad.
Having already made the move to Spain, we have found there is always something you'll forget or not thought about and would have loved a simple checklist of things to consider before actually making the move.
So, with this in mind and using our own experiences and collating usefull advice from other like minded people, we have compiled this handy, usefull checklist of things which should be top of your agenda when thinking of moving abroad...
Any move, either local or international is frought with problems and nasty surprises you may or may not have budgeted for... But by simply following this checklist you can avoid unnecessary upset, stress and hassle and enjoy your life in a new country and climate, meet new friends or just relax and savour the moment as you might have dreamt it!
Whilst in the UK...
- Locate a suitable area for relocation to
- Research the type of property that you are searching for
- Check out the local schools & healthcare infrastructure
- Decide on your criteria - your "must have's" and your dislikes
- Will you be renting or buying ? - maybe renting with a view to buying ?
- Research and contact reputable estate agents in your preferred area with your criteria
- Open a trading account with a reputable foreign exchange currency broker
- Contact a mortgage adviser if applicable, see how much you can actually borrow
- Contact a reputable & experienced lawyer
- Contact a removal company for a quote for moving your possessions
- plan your healthcare : private or state ?
- Inform uk benefits agencies of your move
- Inform private pensions policies, banks, endowments etc... of your move
- Update your cv if you are seeking employment and send it to agencies in Spain
- Obtain your NIE number (a Spanish gestor can do this for you)
- Speak to a vet about moving your pet to Spain
- Make sure your passport & uk driving licence are in date
- Buy a good Spanish phrase book !
When you arrive in Spain...
- Open a bank account
- Do you wish to apply for Residencia?
- Register on the padron
- Apply for state healthcare if applicable
- Register with the utilities
- If you will be working here do you need to register as "autonomo" – self employed ?
- Make a Spanish will to protect your Spanish assets
- Research a funeral plan
- Do you need to legally import your car ?
- Insure your property, contents & car
- Remember to put insurance, tax & ownership documents in you car
- Take numerous photocopies of every document you have and file seperately
- Do you need uk or Spanish tv?
- Do you need to send small, regular sums of money to & from the uk? – if so contact a money transfer agent
- Keep checking tumbit.com for legal & financial advise
- Meet with an asesor, financial advisor or tax consultant to discuss your financial situation and plan your future.
- Now that you are finally here, plan a week or two away from your new home to take in an intensive Spanish language course