How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- EUR weekly currency update - 28 November 2014
- Mr Grumpy v Angeles Duran
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Telefonica and Portugal Telecom under EU investigation
The European Commission has initiated an investigation into the activities between Spain' Telefónica S.A. and Portugal Telecom SGPS S.A. to ascertain if they have breached EU rules by forging an agreement not to compete with each other within their respective home markets. The between the two companies is investigated under Article 101 of the EU Treaty, which bans restrictive business practices.
The deal was finalised at the end of last year when Telefónica full ownership of their Brazilian joint venture, Vivo. The Commission will also investigate whether the yet to be completed agreement was made before the Vivo deal, which is not concerned by the investigation.
The Commission has a copy of the agreement, complete with the 'non-compete clause', which runs from September 2010 to the end of 2011.
The scope and effects of the co-operation between the parties in Spain and Portugal prior to the 2010 Vivo transaction will also be investigated. Telefónica and Portugal Telecom concluded a co-operation agreement in 1997 concerning markets outside the EU, which the Commission was made aware of at the time. The Commission will look into whether the co-operation may have had an effect on the Spanish and Portuguese markets.
Latest News & Stories
- Rajoy: “There is no such thing as generalized corruption in Spain”
- Spain allocates EU52 Mln for rural broadband deployment
- Spain Experts Prepare Stem Cell Transplant against HIV
- Rajoy to declare new anti-corruption law
- Spain Hosts China - Catalonia Tourism Meeting
- Spanish region bans use of smartphones in schools
- Spain hands EU21 Mln aid to gaming industry
- Spain's health minister resigns
- 70% of UK Expats in Spain 'Lifers'
- Spain's public deficit to September falls from year-ago period
- Getting your utility bills online
- Electricity suppliers - and how to change them
- Alternative Energy Sources in Spain