How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Monday 01 September 2014
- Corvera, Castellon & Ciudad Real : THIS is how you run a private airport!
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Telefonica and Portugal Telecom under EU investigation
The European Commission has initiated an investigation into the activities between Spain' Telefónica S.A. and Portugal Telecom SGPS S.A. to ascertain if they have breached EU rules by forging an agreement not to compete with each other within their respective home markets. The between the two companies is investigated under Article 101 of the EU Treaty, which bans restrictive business practices.
The deal was finalised at the end of last year when Telefónica full ownership of their Brazilian joint venture, Vivo. The Commission will also investigate whether the yet to be completed agreement was made before the Vivo deal, which is not concerned by the investigation.
The Commission has a copy of the agreement, complete with the 'non-compete clause', which runs from September 2010 to the end of 2011.
The scope and effects of the co-operation between the parties in Spain and Portugal prior to the 2010 Vivo transaction will also be investigated. Telefónica and Portugal Telecom concluded a co-operation agreement in 1997 concerning markets outside the EU, which the Commission was made aware of at the time. The Commission will look into whether the co-operation may have had an effect on the Spanish and Portuguese markets.
Latest News & Stories
- Corvera Airline Deadline Slips Again, Airline Confirms Interest
- Civil Guards suspected of stealing pro-independence Catalan flag
- Ryanair eyes stake in Spanish Airports listing
- Gibraltar "Costs Spain EU1 Bln per year in Taxes"
- Bank of Spain : Current Account Balance Plummets in June y-on-y
- Spain Cleric : "Death to the Jews"
- Spain Fears Deflation
- Fitch's reviews Murcia's credit rating
- Report Into Number of Foreign Autonomos in Spain
- Happy Birthday Teruel Airport
- Getting your utility bills online
- Electricity suppliers - and how to change them
- Alternative Energy Sources in Spain