How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 6 December 2013
- Join us for FREE IHT advice in Murcia & Costa Calida
- Crime Pays (In Spain at least)
- Madrid : Spain's Fashion Centre
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Spanish Tourism Stats Confusion
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Unauthorised Financial Advisers in Spain : UPDATE
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Own a Property in Spain ? Then you need to read the following
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
Telefonica and Portugal Telecom under EU investigation
The European Commission has initiated an investigation into the activities between Spain' Telefónica S.A. and Portugal Telecom SGPS S.A. to ascertain if they have breached EU rules by forging an agreement not to compete with each other within their respective home markets. The between the two companies is investigated under Article 101 of the EU Treaty, which bans restrictive business practices.
The deal was finalised at the end of last year when Telefónica full ownership of their Brazilian joint venture, Vivo. The Commission will also investigate whether the yet to be completed agreement was made before the Vivo deal, which is not concerned by the investigation.
The Commission has a copy of the agreement, complete with the 'non-compete clause', which runs from September 2010 to the end of 2011.
The scope and effects of the co-operation between the parties in Spain and Portugal prior to the 2010 Vivo transaction will also be investigated. Telefónica and Portugal Telecom concluded a co-operation agreement in 1997 concerning markets outside the EU, which the Commission was made aware of at the time. The Commission will look into whether the co-operation may have had an effect on the Spanish and Portuguese markets.
Latest News & Stories
- Contract awarded to complete works at Castellon Airport
- Major delays with UK-Spain flights this weekend
- UK Notes "Historic Parallel" Between Ceuta, Melilla and Gibraltar
- Paramount UK in line for Gov't windfall : A Lesson for Murcia ?
- Catalonia wants to cancel licenses for at-risk drivers
- Merkel Denies Forcing Spain Into Bailout
- IMF Praises Spain's Banking Reforms
- Greater powers for Spain's central bank planned
- Spain Appoints New Body To Represent SMEs
- Spain retailers take on more holiday staff
- Getting your utility bills online
- Electricity suppliers - and how to change them
- Alternative Energy Sources in Spain