How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 11 July 2014
- Things that have annoyed me this week
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Pensioners 'misled' by Co-op Bank
- UK Inflation no problem for Governor Carney
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
37 of AENA's 47 Airports lost money in 2011
Spanish daily newspaper Expansion has reported how, despite have it's 2nd best year on record for passsenger numbers in 2011, just 1 in 5 of AENA's network of airports is profitable.
Whilst seeing a 6% growth in numbers on 2010 to reach 204 million passengers, the company still managed to return a loss of 200 million euros in 2011.
Of the 47 airports in the entire network, only ten managed to avoid operating at a loss, which coincided with being busier airports popular with tourists : Alicante; Bilbao; Fuerteventura; Ibiza; Lanzarote; Gran Canaria; Palma de Mallorca; Tenerife; Seville and Valencia.
Of these ten, just five managed to operate at profit, the remaining 37 continuing to lose money.
The biggest loss-making airports in the network for 2011 were : Barajas-El Prat (22 million) and Malaga (20.6 million), which is largely due to the high level of debt that they hold and need to make repayments on as opposed to any reflection on passenger number flying to the airport.
However there is a little hope for improvement as the overall earnings before Interest, taxes and deductions (EBITDA) for the airports grew by 50% to reach 856 million euros, with 19 of the 47 airports having a positive EBITDA.
Latest News & Stories
- Orange Spain launches 4G home internet service
- Falling food prices in Spain hit Q2 sales at Dia
- Spain sees revenue from foreign tourism grow 7.8% 2014 to date
- Bankia's profit jumps as Spain's economy picks up, bad debts fall
- Gay community in Spain most affected by hate crime
- Uncertainty over Spain's "Google-Tax" law
- Spain's Felipe VI to keep royals out of private sector
- Ciudad Real Airport Administrators Lower Price & Extend Deadline... Again
- Telefonica and Santander team up to launch online education platform
- EU : Gibraltar's Artificial Reef "Lawful"
- Applying for an EHIC Card as a Spanish Resident
- Benefits in Spain and 'La Ley de Dependencia'
- Car Seats For Children - The Law In Spain