How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily Brief - Friday 22 May 2015
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Idea of an independent Catalonia gets a NATO no-go
The EU has made it clear on many occasions that if Catalonia, or Scotland, decide to become independent, they will be excluded from the collective and will have to negotiate their re-entry with the 28 member states, all of which have a vote. Now, NATO has said the same will apply.
"For any nation to be incorporated into the alliance the consensus of all the NATO allies will be necessary," a spokesman for the alliance, which also has 28 member nations, said on Monday, adding that it was purely a hypothetical matter. NATO has no hard-and-fast rules over the independence of part of a member state, but can invite a nation to join the treaty.
Scotland's first minister, Alex Salmond, has said that his preference is to remain within both the EU and NATO. Catalonia's stance is the same. However, membership of both organizations requires the unanimous vote of the 28 adherents, meaning that Spain, or any other country, could theoretically block Catalonia's entry into the EU.
Latest News & Stories
- EU Nationals resident in UK denied referendum vote
- Vodafone Spain to increase fibre optic speed to 300 Mbps
- Catalan Independence Bid Hit by Podemos’s Barcelona Win
- Spain's ruling PP gets worst local election result in 20 years
- Spain bans ‘Indignados’ march planned for Saturday in Madrid
- Spain announces EU1.26 Bln suburban rail spend
- Spain to make another EU bailout repayment
- EC migrant quota assigned to Spain "
- Rajoy: “Who’s talking about bailouts, recession or unemployment?”
- What is the IBI Tax and How is it Calculated ?
- What is a Geotechnical survey and when would I need one ?
- What is a Community of Residents and what does it do ?