How To Guides
- Childbirth & Education
- Legal Formalities
- Pensions & Benefits
- Property & Accommodation
Did you know...?
- Airports and Airlines Spain
- Paramount Theme Park Murcia Spain
- Corvera International Airport Murcia Spain
- Daily brief -Tuesday 3 May 2016
- When Expat Eyes Are Smiling
- Meet Wincham at The Homes, Gardens & Lifestyle Show, Calpe
- QROPS 2014
- Spain Increases IHT in Valencia & Murcia
- Removals to Spain v Exports from Spain
- The Charm of Seville
- Gibraltar Relations
- Retiro Park : Madrid
- Wincham announce opening of Marbella office
- Community Insurance in Spain
- Calendar Girls
- Considerations when Insuring your Boat in Spain
- QROPS – HMRC Introduces changes that create havoc in the market place
- QROPS – All Change From April 2012
Spanish unemployment reaches record levels
The number of Spanish residents claiming unemployment benefits increased for the fifth consecutive month in December, reaching record highs as the economy's weak recovery from its worst recession in living memory petered out.
According to figures released testerday by the Ministry of Labor, the number of people officially registered as unemployed climbed by 1,897 from November to reach 4.422 million by the end of 2011 - in excess of 20% of the working population.
December is often an anomaly for the labor market, with employers increasing hiring up to and over the Christmas and new year holiday period. In December 2010, jobless claims fell by 10,221.
"The unemployment figures for December confirm the deterioration in the economic situation in the second half of the year," the new secretary of state for employment, Engracia Hidalgo, told a the press. Unemployment for 2011 as a whole saw joblesss numbers rise by 322,286, or 7.86%.
Latest News & Stories
- Expat Fraudster 'too pregnant' to face UK Court
- Spain issues warrants for Russian officials alleged to be linked to crime gang
- Brussels lowers Spain’s public deficit forecast
- Spain new car sales rise 21.2 pct y/y in April
- Spanish Journos facing jail over Police leaks
- King Felipe to call further election on Tuesday
- Spain's Tourist Tax : Deterring Holidaymakers ?
- Sanctions loom over Spain for breaching fiscal rules
- New June election will benefit PP, poll confirms
- Tens of Thousands of Spaniards Protest Unemployment During May Day Rallies
- Claiming Sickness Benefit as an Autonomo - Self Employed worker
- Claiming Unemployment Benefits in Spain
- Claiming Spanish Benefits in Spain
- Claiming UK Benefits in Spain