Blogs and advice from Industry leading Specialists
Valuable Opinions, Comments & Gossip
Financial related News & Articles relating to Spain
Latest News, Stories
& Hot Topics
Various Tools & Widgets to help with your financial needs
Tools & Widgets to
help with finances
Polls, Surveys and Opinions featured throughout Tumbit
Featured Polls, Surveys & Stats
Discussions, Advice & Topical Chat
Discussions, Advice & Topical Chat

How to get your professional qualification recognised in Spain

- Updated: 25/05/2011
How to get your professional qualification recognised in Spain

All applications for your professional qualification to be officially recognised in Spain must be sent to the appropriate competent authority for the regulated profession that you wish to practice here. In many cases you will be able to obtain details of whoever that may be, together with their corresponding address by contacting the professional body that currently represents you in your own country.

Documents Required

Once you have identified the body that represents your chosen profession in Spain you will need to make contact with them in order to obtain the full list of the documents required to consider your application for recognition. Depending upon your profession, and the qualifications that you possess, you may be requested to provide some or all of the following documentation :

• Proof of Nationality (Eligibility to work in Spain)

• Copies of the diplomas and qualifications

• Certificate attesting to the length and content of your training.

However, if the profession in question is not regulated in the country where you gained your qualification, you will also have to provide proof that you have practiced for a minimum of two out of the previous ten years. Finally, it is also possible that you may be required to produce a certificate from the authorities in your Country of origin proving that you are qualified to practice the profession there.

Translation and Charges

In order to proceed with your application it will be necessary to produce original documents (with copies) - or copies authenticated by a Spanish consular establishment in your country or by any other competent authority there. You will also be required to provide official translations of these documents into Spanish. The Spanish Embassy will be able to put you in contact with an approved person who will be able to do this on your behalf.

It should go without saying that in handling documents of this kind you should always keep copies safe for your own records and send all correspondence by certified mail wherever possible.

If for any reason your application is rejected, the rejection letter will inform you of the reason behind this and the appeal procedures open to you and the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Please note that this is simply a general overview of the procedures involved in gaining recognition for your qualification – there may be slight changes to this depending upon your profession.

Comment on this Article

Hi, I am a Canadian dentist who intends to immigrate to Spain and I would like to know the regulation and prerequisites for continuing my profession in Spain. Many thanks.
Hamid - Tue 21st Aug 2018
I am a general dentist in Egypt ,how I can be licensed to practice in spain
Ahmed Elmofty - Mon 17th Oct 2016
Hello Dears I am a maxillofacial surgeon with six years experience after my board certificate, working as a surgeon and as a teaching faculty in a university. I would like to work in spain and live there, how can you guide me dears,plese.
Dr.zanyar Amin - Fri 5th Aug 2016
Hello I'am working as general dentist in israel , i was woundering to ask you how to be licesnsed in spain . Thank you
Naseem Gnaeem - Mon 27th Jun 2016
Hello Dear reader I would like to know how can I apply as a dentist in Spain And how could I have my license there! Best regards Thanks
Ashkan Maghsoodloo - Sun 11th Oct 2015
Would be handy though if they replied when you contact them ! I contacted the spanish institute of refrigeration engineers before I came here On numerous occasions. Nothing , not one reply. Now suddenly I'm on their list of people to invite to all & every event.?? Very peculiar.
Gus-lopez - Fri 7th Jun 2013
Thanks a lot Graham.
Ashraful Shikder - Fri 7th Dec 2012

You could also try :

Centro NARIC

Ministerio de Educación

Subdirección General de Títulos y Relaciones con Instituciones Sanitarias

Paseo del Prado, 28

28014 Madrid, Spain

Phone: 34 91 506 5593

Fax: 34 91 506 5706


Graham Harrison - Fri 7th Dec 2012
Thanks everyone for the help but the problem is I could not send e mail to this e mail address you provided. Every time I tried to send the e mail it says the following... "We cannot find a match for this email address: informació Please use an email address that looks like or a nickname or a distribution list name from your Yahoo! contacts." Can you help guys.
Ashraful Shikder - Fri 7th Dec 2012
Ashruful, the department who looks after the covalidation of Dentisty qualification is as below : Tel: 34-91-506 56 00 E-mail: informació
Tumbit - Admin - Fri 7th Dec 2012
I am a qualified Dentist of Bangladesh currently studying in the UK. Am I eligible to work as a Dentist in Spain? Where can I get all the information about getting registered as a Dentist in Spain.
Ashraful Shikder - Fri 7th Dec 2012

Iman : In order to get your Qualification reconised / validated to enable you to work in Spain you should contact :

Ministerio de Educación y Cultura

Subdirección General de Títulos, Convalidaciones y Homologaciones

Paseo del Prado, 28. 4ª planta, E - 28014 Madrid

Tel: 0034 917 018 500

E-mail: informació

AND send the following documents :

- Evidence of your nationality

- Proof of qualification and entitlement to practice in your home country

Tumbit - Admin - Mon 6th Aug 2012
Please, I would like to know what are requirements for Egyptian pharmacists to work in Spain?? Do I have to take an equivalence exam ?? Thanks
Iman - Mon 6th Aug 2012

Noshin : This would be a question best placed with the guys who actually undertake the homologation for Dentistry :

Tel: 34-91-506 56 00

E-mail: informació

Tumbit - Admin - Tue 10th Jul 2012
Then can I do any job related to my field of dentistry during the time it takes to get my homologacion ?
Noshin - Tue 10th Jul 2012
I can understand your frustrations here and it is perhaps noteworthy that Spain was recently reported as being the worst country in the EU for flouting homologation guidelines
Tumbit - Admin - Sun 8th Jul 2012
I had applied for homologacion of my dental degree in december 2011..they asked me to wait for 9months but as my friend could not get any reply after one and half year,,and i am very afraid if it will happen with me as well..i am waiting here to start my career.should i hopeful that after exact 9months i will get any positive response??plz reply
Noshin - Sun 8th Jul 2012

Fiona, assuming you gained your qualification in an EU member state, as a Dentist you should ask for a form from , and submit the completed application to :

Ministerio de Educación y Cultura

Subdirección General de Títulos, Convalidaciones y Homologaciones

Paseo del Prado 28, 4ª planta - E-28014 Madrid

Tel: +34-91-506 56 00

E-mail: informació

Tumbit - Admin - Sun 1st Jul 2012
Hi, how does a UK dentist go about the "homologacion" procedure to get his qualifications recognised in Spain? Who do we contact? Spanish Embassy/Consulate in London or Ministry of Education or Sanidad in Madrid? Where do we get the forms from? etc....
Fiona D - Sun 1st Jul 2012
Alex, as you speak Spanish you would be better of calling NARIC Espana in Madrid on 00 34 91 506 55 93 - as they are the body who perform the homologation.
Tumbit - Admin - Mon 26th Dec 2011
Thanks! Nope, Spanish is no problem. There's a benefit to being bilingual! Would I have to speak to the Spanish embassy in Mexico City to apply for the foreign exchange teachers program or can I do that online somewhere?
Alex Chavez - Fri 23rd Dec 2011
Alex : You can find further details of the process by clicking through to the website here > Convalidation & Homologation of Studies and Foriegn Qualifications - It is all in Spanish, but I'm guessing that won't be a problem with you being a Mexican...
Tumbit - Admin - Wed 21st Dec 2011
I am a Mexican citizen living in the United States. I have received my college education at a university in California. I already have my Bachelor of Arts in History and I am about to finish my Masters degree. I also have intentions to obtain a Doctorate in history. I want to return to Mexico and then live in Spain. What steps do I have to take to become a university professor/teacher in Spain ?
Alex Chavez - Wed 21st Dec 2011